UITS is pleased to announce the availability of a new web-based service which will allow all UConn Faculty, Staff, and Students the ability to share electronic files securely. The service, named Filelocker, may be accessed through a web browser at the address http://filelocker.uconn.edu. The Filelocker page contains help files as well as a “Login” link on the left side of the page. The application must be entered using a UConn NetID and password.
The features of Filelocker include:
- The ability to use a password to encrypt files in order to protect sensitive data
- Uploading electronic files to a secure storage area, storing them there for a fixed amount of time, and accessing them from anywhere with an internet connection
- Sharing files with other UConn Faculty, Staff, and Students
- Automatic email notifications of file sharing requests and file download activity
- The ability to securely share files with individuals who do not have a UConn NetID
The Filelocker implementation is a component of the Information Security Office’s larger commitment to protect the University’s most sensitive data. Other efforts include Information Security Awareness video-based training for UConn Faculty, Staff, and Student employees accessible through HuskyCT; a forthcoming overhaul of the current Network Registration (NetReg) system ( http://safeconnect.uconn.edu); and an upcoming initiative to search computer hard drives, web sites, and databases for Personally Identifiable Information in order to remove or protect it.
UITS anticipates the Filelocker application to be a successful tool for UConn Faculty, Staff, and Students to securely manage electronic file sharing and welcomes your feedback and questions:
UITS Help Center
(860)486-4357, Option #3