If you discover a fire:
- Activate the nearest fire alarm in the building.
- Call 911 or 205-348-5454.
- Remember to tell the communication’s operator your name, address, the location and extent of the fire.
- If you know of any people with disabilities in the building, tell the communications officer.
- If you think it is possible, confine the fire by closing nearby windows and doors, but do not delay in leaving the building.
Once the fire alarm is activated: fire-alarm1
- Exit the building quickly and calmly.
- Warn others on your way out.
- Do not use the elevators.
- Follow lighted signs to closest exit.
- When possible, follow the posted evacuation route.
- An escort should be assigned to each person with a disability.
- Meet emergency officials outside the building and direct them to the fire.
- Remain outside at a safe distance and keep others away the building and from emergency vehicles.
- In all cases, follow the instructions of fire and police personnel on the scene.
If caught in smoke:
- Do not breathe the smoke.
- Drop to your knees and crawl to the closest safe exit.
- Cover nose and mouth with a shirt or towel and breathe through the nose.
If trapped in a building:
- Close all doors and windows.
- Wet and place a cloth or material around and under the door to prevent smoke from entering
- Attempt to signal people outside the building. Call for help using a telephone or cell phone.
Using a Fire Extinguisher: fireextinguisherabc
- Report the fire first (call 911 or the University police at 205-348-5454).
- Use a fire extinguisher only if you have been trained to do so. Improper use of an extinguisher can increase the hazard.
- If you have any doubt of your ability to fight the fire, exit immediately.
- If you decide to use the fire extinguisher, place yourself between the fire and your exit from the area.
To use the fire extinguisher, follow the PASS method:
- Pull the pin. This will break the seal if one is provided
- Aim low, pointing the extinguisher nozzle (or horn or hose) at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent.
- Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until the fire is out.
- Watch the area. If the fire reignites, repeat the steps above.