World Wide Web Policy
1.0 — General
- This Policy governs documents (Web pages) appearing on the World Wide Web from University of Alabama Web servers.
- Both Official and Unofficial University Web Sites, as defined below, must comply with all copyright laws of the United States, all other applicable local, state, and federal laws, and applicable policies, rules, and guidelines of The University of Alabama, including those defined herein.
- The dominant theme of any Web site, whether an Official or Unofficial University Web Site, must not appeal to prurient interest to the average person applying contemporary community standards.
- This Policy will be periodically revised in response to pertinent legal and/or technological issues in consultation with the appropriate entities.
- Any questions, comments, or suggestions concerning this Policy should be addressed to the Office of Web Communications ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
2.0 — Official University Web Sites
- Official University Web Sites are defined as Web sites or Web pages created by University of Alabama entities including, but not limited to, its colleges, schools, departments, research centers, and administrative offices and purporting to represent The University of Alabama.
- All Official University Web Sites must be approved by the vice president who has administrative oversight over the area represented by the Web site or by his/her designee.
- All Official University Web Sites must adhere to the minimum standards described below. These minimum standards are presented in conjunction with associated recommendations in the UA Web Guide at http://webguide.ua.edu.
- Display clear identification of The University of Alabama on the top-level pages of each Web site. The preferred means of identification is to display a UA nameplate or wordmark.
- Display a clearly labeled link on each Web page to the Web site's home page and to the University of Alabama home page ( http://www.ua.edu).
- Display clearly labeled ownership information on each Web page in the form of a contact e-mail address, which may be supplemented by a contact name and/or telephone number. In unusual cases, a contact name and telephone number may be substituted for a contact e-mail address.
- Display a clearly labeled disclaimer, link to a disclaimer, or link to the official University disclaimer at http://www.ua.edu/disclaimer.html. Disclaimers used other than the official University disclaimer are subject to review and modification by the Office of the President. The following language is recommended: "Although the authors of this Web site have made every reasonable effort to be factually accurate, no responsibility is assumed for editorial or clerical errors or error occasioned by honest mistake. All information contained on this Web site is subject to change by the appropriate officials of The University of Alabama without prior notice. Material on this Web site does not serve as a contract between The University of Alabama and any other party."
3.0 — Unofficial University Web Sites
- Unofficial University Web Sites are defined as Web sites or Web pages created by University of Alabama entities including, but not limited to, individual University employees, faculty, staff, students, and student organizations to represent individuals, groups, or organizations.
- All Unofficial University Web Sites must carry the following disclaimer or similar: "The views, opinions, and conclusions expressed in this page are those of the author or organization and not necessarily those of The University of Alabama or its officers and trustees. The content of this page has not been reviewed or approved by the University of Alabama, and the author or organization is solely responsible for its content."
- The University of Alabama will not undertake to pre-approve or review the content of Unofficial University Web Sites. However, any pages discovered in violation of this Policy are subject to immediate removal from University of Alabama Web servers.
- Unofficial University Web Sites may not be used for commercial purposes or for personal financial gain or benefit. The University of Alabama is not responsible for any liability resulting from any such activities prior to their discovery and appropriate remedy.