During 2012,Georgia College’s chapter of the American Chemical Society earned the Outstanding Chapter Award for the fifth consecutive year. The chapter also received the scientific society’s Green Chapter Award for the fourth year in a row. The awards acknowledge the Chemistry Club’s chemical and green chemistry activities throughout the 2011-2012 academic year.
The Environmental Science Club of Georgia College will hold the fifth annual Week of Earthfest, raising awareness for sustainable living practices on campus and in the community.
•11 a.m.-4 p.m.: Lightbulb exchange at fountain
• 6-9 p.m.: Community recycling forum, A&S Auditorium
• 11 a.m.-4 p.m.: Lightbulb exchange at fountain
• 12:30 p.m.: Times Talk, Beeson Hall basement. Free pizza during environmental discussion about article published in The New York Times
• 8 p.m. - until: Trivia night, Buffington’s, downtown Milledgeville
• 1 p.m.: Tree planting, Central City Park
• 6-7 p.m.: Power ride. Help promote alternative modes of transportation with the Environmental Science Club. Meet on front campus.
• Stand With The Gulf: Wear black, place footprints on a banner to send to the Gulf of Mexico in remembrance of the 2010.
• 4-6 p.m.: Campus/community cleanup. Join Environmental Science Club on front campus to help clean streets.
• 10 a.m. -10:30 p.m.: Power ride. Help promote alternative modes of transportation as Environmental Science Club hosts a power ride for local children.
• 11 a.m.-10 p.m.: Earthfest, front campus. Arts and crafts, educational sessions, art exhibits, eco-friendly games and green-living demonstrations
• 10 p.m.-9 a.m.: Camp under the stars on front campus
• 1 - 3 p.m.: River cleanup, Oconee Greenway. Collect trash and debris. Cookout to follow.
For more information contact Dr. Doug Oetter at doug.oetter@gcsu or 478-445-7879.