Page Content Footer Links
Darwin Deen, M.D., M.S.
Community Health and Social Medicine
School of Biomedical Education
About Darwin Deen, M.D., M.S.
Professor of Community Health and Social Medicine, Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, City College of New York, 2008-Present
Director of Medical Student Education, Department of Family and Social Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1994-2008
Senior Attending Physician, Montefiore Medical Group at the Castle Hill Family Practice, 1994-Present
Chief of Service for the Department of Family Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center’s Weiler Division, 1995-2001
Director of the Regional Center for Clinical Nutrition Education New York Academy of Medicine, 1990-1998
Medical Director, Valentine Lane Family Practice, Montefiore Ambulatory Care Network, 1992-1994
Assistant Attending Physician, Ambulatory Care Network, Montefiore Medical Center, 1986-1992
Medical Director, Trial of Antihypertensive Interventions and Management (TAIM), Coop City, Bronx, New York, 1984-1986
Clinician, School Children and Adolescent Health Program, N.Y.C. Department of Health, 1984-1986
B.S., 1975, University of New Hampshire;
M.S., 1977, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, Institute of Human Nutrition;
M.D., 1981, Albert Einstein College of Medicine;
Internship and Residency in Family Medicine, 1981-84, Montefiore Medical Center
- Physician Communication Skills/ Self-evaluation/ Self-reflection.
- Cultural Sensitivity/ Care for Underserved Communities.
- Lifestyle Behavior Change/Obesity Prevention.
- Stress Management
Deen D and Hark L. (Eds.), The Complete Guide to Nutrition in Primary Care. Blackwell Publishing, Malden Mass. 2007.
- Hark L and Deen D. The Whole Grain Diet Miracle. Dorling Kinderslee, New York, NY 2006.
- Hark L and Deen D. Nutrition for Life. Dorling Kinderslee, London, England. 2005.
- Indyk D, Deen D, Fornari A, Santos MT, Lu WH, Rucker L. The influence of longitudinal mentoring on medical student selection of primary care residencies BMC Medical Education 2011;11:27. doi:10.1186/1472-6920-11-27
- Lu, WH, Deen D, Gold MR. Activating Community Health Center Patients in Developing Question-Formulation Skills: A Qualitative Study. Health Education and Behavior 2011 e-pub ahead of print
- Kulick D, Deen D. Specialized Nutrition Support American Family Physician 2011;82(2):173-183.
Deen D, Lu WH, Rothstein D, Santana L, Gold MR. Asking Questions: The effect of a brief intervention in community health centers on patient activation. Patient Education and Counseling 2011;84(2):257-60.
- McKee D, Deen D, Blank A, Maher S, Fletcher J, Fornari A, Blank AE. Implementation of a pilot primary care lifestyle change intervention for families of pre-school children: Lessons learned. Patient Education and Counseling 2010;79(3):299-305.
- Maher S, Lopez P, McKee MD, Deen D, Fornari A, Fletcher J, Blank A. Evaluation of health educator consults in primary care. Health Education 2010;110(3):209 – 224
- Kulick D, Hark L, Deen D. The Bariatric Surgery Patient: A Growing Role for Registered Dietitians. J American Dietetict Association 2010;110(4):593-599.
- McKee D, Deen D, Blank A, Maher S, Fornari A. Counseling to Prevent Obesity Among Preschool Children: Acceptability of a Pilot Urban Primary Care Intervention. Annals of Family Medicine 2010;8:249-255.
- Deen D, Margo K. Nutrition and the primary care clinician. Ch 1 in Deen D and Hark L. (Eds.), The Complete Guide to Nutrition in Primary Care. Blackwell Publishing, Malden Mass. 2007.
- Deen D, Fornari A. It’s all about changing behaviors: Ch 15 in Deen D and Hark L. (Eds.), The Complete Guide to Nutrition in Primary Care. Blackwell Publishing, Malden Mass. 2007.
Deen D. How can nutrition education contribute to competency-based resident evaluation? Am J Clin Nutr 2006;83(suppl):1S-6S.
Deen D. Metabolic Syndrome. Chapter in: Family Medicine: Fundamentals and Case Studies Rakel R, 3rd Ed. Elsevier, Inc. 2006.
Deen D, Swencionis C.Chapter 5: Lifestyle Counseling Strategies for Behavior Change in Carson JS, Burke FM, Hark LA eds. Cardiovascular Nutrition: Disease Management and Prevention 2nd ed. Published by the American Dietetic Association. Wash DC 2004.
- Hark LA, Parker BS, Deen D, Pi Sunyer FX.Chapter 7: Metabolic Syndrome: Time for Action in Carson JS, Burke FM, Hark LA eds. Cardiovascular Nutrition: Disease Management and Prevention 2nd ed. Published by the American Dietetic Association. Wash DC 2004.
Deen D. Metabolic Syndrome: A Time for Action. American Family Physician. 2004;69:2875-82.
Deen D, Williams J. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Case in Morrison G. and Hark L. Medical Nutrition and Disease. 3nd Ed. Blackwell Science, Malden MA 2003.
Deen D, Spencer E, Kolasa KM. Nutrition Education in Family Practice Residency Programs. Family Medicine. 2003;35(2):105-11.
- Hark L, Deen D. Taking a nutrition history: A practical approach for primary care clinicians. American Family Physician 1999;59:1521-1528.
Last Updated: 2/29/12