Job Title Administrative Specialist - Math
Date Posted 11/30/12
Closing Date Until Filled
Position Detail Open until filled with the review of applications to begin 12/14/12.
FLSA Status Non-exempt
Compensation Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Description and Duties
Provides administrative and program support to an administrative or academic department.
- Oversees department operations and assists management in planning department activities, creating schedules, assigning staff and preparing and delivering department communications.
- Works with appropriate offices related to personnel recruitment, expediting search activities
- Research coordinates and organizes materials for key events such as promotion and tenure reviews.
- Supervises and trains support staff and student workers.
- Manages budget and coordinates purchasing, accounting, and payroll.
- Provides instructions and basic advice to students, faculty, and others seeking information on department activities, policies, and schedules.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Administrative Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Administrative Specialist will report to the chair of the Mathematics department.
In addition to the duties listed above, this position will:
- Assist in faculty and administrative recruitment, as well as departmental events.
- Assist in the collection of materials for reappointment, promotion, and tenure reviews.
- Provide instructions and referrals to graduate and undergraduate students.
- Assist the chair with hiring and scheduling adjuncts to ensure that proper support services are provided.
- Coordinate the scheduling of classes and enrollment of students into classes.
- Gather and actualize student and alumni data, manage the departmental budget, and coordinate the submission of payroll.
- Schedule and coordinate seminar speakers and associated purchases and expenses.
- Prepare various communications for the chair.
- Train office administrative assistants and work-study students.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.Qualifications and Requirements
Bachelor's Degree and four years' relevant experience required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Four years or more of experience working as an administrator for a higher education institution
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience dealing with budgets and payroll
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions. If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More search options"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.