accessing The ccny Wireless network
To connect to CitiNet, CCNY’s wireless network, you will need:
- A valid CCNY e-mail account and password. If you do not have a CCNY e-mail account, click here for next steps.
- A computer with a wireless network card. This wireless network card must be 802.11b WiFi compliant.
To determine if your computer already has wireless built in, right-click on the “My Network Places” icon on your Desktop and choose Properties. If wireless is built in, you will see an icon for wireless networking already there.
In order to connect to the wireless network you must have a wireless network card that (at minimum) is 802.11b compliant. Most wireless cards that are available today are 802.11b/g wireless cards. This means that the wireless card supports both protocols 802.11b and 802.11g. Your computer and/or wireless card documentation will tell you if your card is 802.11b complaint.
If your laptop does not have built-in wireless, you can buy a PCMCIA or USB wireless network adapter. A PCMCIA card will fit in the slot on the side of your computer and a USB wireless network adapter will fit in the USB port on your laptop
If you need assistance please contact the Helpdesk at (212) 650-7878 or email@example.com
Please read the following instructions on using wireless networking on campus. The instructions will show you how to start using the wireless network, with different configurations. Identify your system with the one in the example and follow the steps given.
For Windows XP
As soon as you’re within range of CitiNet, CCNY’s secure wireless network, you should see a message bubble at the bottom right, either showing that wireless networks are available or your computer is already connected to a wireless network. Click on the message bubble.
The ‘Wireless Network Connection’ window will open up. In the available networks list, you should see ‘ccnyaironet1s
’. Select and click on the ‘Connect’
When you connect you might get a message about connecting to an unsecured network, click ‘Connect Anyway
After connecting you should see a message bubble at the bottom right showing the status of your connection.
Open your Browser, you will see a ‘Security Alert
’ message, saying ‘Do you want to proceed
?’, click “Yes
You should see the ‘Welcome to CitiNet
’ splash screen; enter your CCNY e-mail ID (DO NOT INCLUDE @ccny.cuny.edu
) and password and click ‘Log In’.
Once you log in, you should see a pop-up that says ‘bluesocket’. After you finish browsing you need to log out using the pop-up. (Note: if you don’t see the pop-up see below)
If you don’t see the bluesocket pop-up
If you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 and/or a pop-up blocker installed you will have to allow pop-up from this site.
For Firefox and Internet Explorer users: once you log in to CitiNet, you should see a Pop-up blocked bar under the address bar. Right-click on the pop-up blocker bar and click on the option, “Allow pop-ups from this site”. Finally click yes on the confirmation box.
For Windows 2000
- You must first install the configuration utility software that came with your wireless network card. This should be on a CD included with the card. If you don’t have the CD, you should be able to download the utility from the website of the card’s manufacturer.
- After installing the software, insert the wireless network card in the PCMCIA slot or USB port, depending on which type of wireless network adapter you bought.
- Run the utility software for the wireless card and install the drivers for the wireless card.
- After the card is installed, run the configuration utility.
- The utility that came with your wireless card should provide a window for connecting to a wireless network.