Service at UIS
UIS student planting a tree at Jefferson Middle School Start Volunteering
Periodic / Short-term Service
Why Should I Volunteer?
First and foremost, we hope you volunteer because you believe in the mission of our university. Service is about making an positive impact on the world, starting here in Springfield.
But volunteering can also benefit you in a number of ways. Students tell us they volunteer in order to:
- Meet new friends
- Learn new skills
- Build up their resume for a job or internship
- Improve their chances of being accepted into graduate school
- Feel more positive and mentally healthy
- Respond to their religious or spiritual calling
We strive to provide volunteer opportunities that you can both believe in and benefit from. Browse through our volunteer links to find out how you can start serving your community today. And be sure to contact us if you have any questions or ideas. We’re here to help you in whatever ways we can.
Other helpful tools
- UIS Career Connect – The UIS Career Development Center’s online tracking tool allows you to search and review ongoing volunteer opportunities at various organizations in Springfield. It’s also got a host of other cool features from resume builders to simulated interviews to career interest surveys. Check it out!
- Resource Links – Browse through our list of regional and national volunteer websites. You’ll find more information on a lot of our affiliated programs here.