Recipes of the Month
Choosing to eat healthy does not mean you have to sacrifice on taste. The Department of Recreational Sports offers monthly recipes that will show you how to prepare everyday foods in a healthy, tasty and creative way.
Recipes of the Month (Thanksgiving recipes!)
Slow Cooker Turkey and Gravy
Servings: about 10 • Size: 4 oz breast, 1/4 cup gravy • Old Points: 4 • Points+: 4
Calories: 167 • Fat: 3.7 g • Protein: 20.5 g • Carb: 11 g • Fiber: 1 g • Sugar: 4.5 g
Choles: 53 • Sodium: variesy by brand of turkey and chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped medium
- 1 celery rib, chopped medium
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-5 lb whole bone-in turkey breast, skin on, trimmed of fat
- salt and pepper
Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook until onion is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of broth and scrape up any browned bits and smooth out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
Stir in remaining broth, water, wine, sage, and bay leaves into the slow cooker. Season turkey with salt and pepper, place skin side up in the slow cooker, cover and cook 5 to 7 hours on low, or until the turkey reaches 165 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
Transfer turkey to a cutting board tent loosely with with foil and let it rest 20 minutes. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove the fat from the surface using a large spoon or a gravy fat separator. Strain braising liquid into saucepan, discard celery, bay leaves and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Discard the skin and carve the turkey and serve with gravy. Makes 2 1/2 cups of gravy.
Chicken Sausage and Herb Stuffing
Servings: 12 • Serving Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 3 pt • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 136.2 • Fat: 6.4 g • Carbs: 31.4 • Fiber: 1.7 • Protein: 3.5 g • Sugar: 20.7
Sodium: 143.1 mg
- 14 oz French bread, crusts removed (weight after crust is removed)
- 2 tbsp light butter (Land O Lakes)
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 3/4 cups (about 4 stalks) diced celery
- 13.2 oz fresh Italian chicken sausage, casing removed ( Isernio’s)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3 1/4 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and let it dry overnight – OR – place the baking sheet in a 350°F oven and bake about 20 minutes, or until the bread is dried out. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
In the same pan over medium heat, cook the sausage, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the sausage to the bowl with the onion/celery mixture.
Spray an oven proof baking dish with cooking spray (I use my misto)
Add the bread, sage and thyme to the bowl with the sausage/onion mixture and stir to combine. Add the chicken broth and stir to evenly coat the bread. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and stir to mix well.
Transfer to the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir. Continue baking until golden, about 35 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Makes about 9 cups
Sweet Potato Casserole
Servings: 10 • Size: 1/10th • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 132.6 • Fat: 1.8 g • Protein: 1.5 g • Carb: 29.5 g • Fiber: 2.7 g • Sugar: 10.4
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp agave
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch allspice
- 8 oz can unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
Cut sweet potatoes into large chunks; boil potatoes in a large pot covered with water until potatoes are soft if pierced with a fork. Drain and return to the pot.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Mash the sweet potatoes ( immersion blender) and add in raisins, agave, spices and pineapple.
Lightly spray a pie dish, casserole dish or even individual ramekins with oil, spoon in sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with pecans and marshmallows. Bake for 15 minutes.
Lightened Up Green Bean Casserole with Shallot Crumb Topping
Adapted from Williams Sonoma
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1/8 • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 160 • Fat: 6 g • Carb: 22 g • Fiber: 4 g • Protein: 7 g • Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 280.5 mg (without salt)
- 2 lbs green beans, cut in half, trimmed and washed
For the topping:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shallots, finely diced
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 1 tsp fresh)
For the green beans:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallots, minced
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms, (I used cremini)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken stock (or vegetable for vegetarian)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Boil a large pot of water, when boiling add green beans and blanch for 2 minutes (or 6-8 minutes if you like them softer). Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop them from cooking.
Meanwhile make the topping, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Reduce heat to medium-low, add breadcrumbs, grated cheese and thyme; sauté until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, careful not to burn.
Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and sauté 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms, stir constantly for about a minute, then slowly add chicken stock, then milk. Bring to a low boil, and cook stirring occasionally until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in Romano cheese.
Add blanched green beens and mix well, season with salt and pepper as needed; pour into prepared baking dish.
Top with toasted bread crumbs and bake about 30 minutes.
Skinny Pumpkin Pie
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1/8th • Old Points: 3 pt • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 172.3 • Fat: 6.4 g • Carbs: 31.4 • Fiber: 1.7 • Protein: 3.5 g • Sugar: 20.7
Sodium: 143.1 mg
- 15 oz canned pumpkin (or homemade pumpkin puree)
- 2 tbsp light butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, unpacked
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 frozen pie crust sheet, Pillsbury (thawed to room temperature)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Lightly dust a large cutting board or flat surface with flour. Roll out a room temperature pie crust sheet, so that it becomes thin enough to cut off about 30%, so that your final crust is 5 oz. Place into a 9-inch pie dish, cutting off excess dough. If you prefer to skip this step and use all the dough, increase points+ to 6 per slice.
Place pumpkin in a large bowl. Add light butter, and mix well. Using an electric mixer, mix in brown sugar, milk, eggs, egg whites, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
Bake 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with whipped topping and enjoy!
Recipes from Previous Months
- Applesauce Pancakes
- Gluten Free Waffles, Quinoa Stuffing, Chicken and Veggies Rice
- Shrimp and Shitake Stir-Fry
- Bacon and Spinach Scramble
- Apple-Walnut Pancakes
- Breakfast (Heart Healthy Berry Muffins)
- Lunch (Grilled Chicken Burritos)
- Dinner (Cauliflower and Chickpea Stew)
- Specialty – A little Something Extra (Healthy Tips For College Students)
- English Muffin Minis
- Pumpkin Chili
- Oatmeal, Pumpkin Spice Soup & Quinoa Pizza Bites
- Scrambled Egg Tostada, Shrimp Tortilla Soup, Apricot Roasted Chicken, Baked Apples
- Energizing Oatmeal, Black Bean Salad, Mediterranean Chicken & Pasta
- Breakfast Bagel, Minestroni Surprise, Chipoltle and Orange Grilled Chicken, Banana Colada
- Swiss Breakfast, Saute`d Chicken & Asparagas, Salmon with Salsa, Blueberry/Chocolate Parfait