MPA Application Process
We are delighted that you are considering an application to our program. Please let us know if you have any questions or problems along the way. Note that a complete application for the MPA program will have both a part “A” and “B” below. Completed applications are considered immediately for the on ground program. There is an application deadline when online applications are considered (see below).
Applicants who have below a 2.5 undergraduate GPA will also need to submit a GRE score. The GRE is not required for applicants who have an undergraduate GPA above 2.5. There are prerequisites required to take some courses and to graduate, but completion of these are not required for admission. (See requirements for admission.)
A. To apply for Graduate Admission at the University of Illinois at Springfield, the following are needed:
- UIS Admission Application;
- Transcript verifying a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
- Submission of transcripts for all graduate work taken beyond the bachelor’s degree;
- TOEFL score of 550 for those who speak English as a second language; and
- A fee of $60.00 for domestic applicants, $75.00 fee for international. Apply Online to UIS. See below for MPA program application materials that need to be submitted as well.
- A completed application form ( Online Program Application) (pdf)
- A resume
- Evidence of fulfillment of course prerequisites – Note that prerequisite completion is not required nor considered for admission. Student’s needing prerequisites may be admitted on a “conditional” basis until the prerequisites are completed.
- And a statement of at least 300 words describing: a.) your career goals, b.) what you would contribute to the program and c.) how the MPA Program would enhance your professional development. Please e-mail your resume and statement of goals to the program office.Local students are generally not admitted to the online major without extenuating circumstances. These circumstances should be documented upon application.Note: Student’s needing prerequisites may be admitted on a “conditional” basis until the prerequisites are completed.
Application Deadline (Deadlines apply only for online MPA program. On ground MPA may be submitted at any time for review.)
- On campus program applicants may have their applications considered at any time. Prospective on campus program students are strongly encouraged to obtain application information and apply well in advance of their first term in order to allow time for mailing and processing materials.
Online program applications must be complete by March 1 for fall admissions and October 15 for spring admissions.
In the normal application process, all files are reviewed on the dates above. A complete application means that materials from the applicant for the department and those turned into Admissions must be processed and in the program office by that date. Generally applicants that are within driving distance can not be admitted to the online program.
- Note Concerning Online Applications: If we find that we have openings as a result of accepted applicants not enrolling or expanded capacity, we will evaluate other completed applications and possibly admit more students. So it is good to have applications completed and on file with the program as early as possible.
It is always a good idea to allow six to eight weeks before the deadline for delays in transmission of materials from other schools.