Welcome to UIS and congratulations on your admission to Graduate School!
To assist you in making the most of your experience at UIS, we are inviting you to participate in an Orientation Program for new graduate* students. While orientation is not required of new graduate student at UIS, your participation in orientation will certainly provide you with a great deal of information about available services on campus and will make your transition to the UIS campus much easier.
* International Students will be attending the International Student Orientation coordinated by the Office of International Student Services. Please visit their page for more information.
For Students Admitted to the Spring 2015 Semester
We are holding a Transfer/Graduate Student Orientation session for students who have been accepted to UIS for the spring semester of 2015 on Monday, November 10, 2014 from 4-7 p.m. in the Public Affairs Center (PAC). The other Transfer/Graduate Student Orientation session will be on Friday, January 16, 2015 from 1 – 4 p.m. Registration for the January session will be available mid November.
Schedule for Monday, November 10
4-5:30 p.m. Check-in, PAC Concourse Lobby, Teardrop Entrance
4-5:30 p.m. Taking Care of Business: register for classes, get your I-Card, meet with Financial Aid staff, Last Chance Advising, get information about parking, take a campus tour or library tour, drop off immunization, get student insurance information. Refreshments will be available.
4-5:30 p.m. Information Fair: Meet representatives from campus departments and learn more about their programs, services, or resources available.
5-6:45 p.m. Prairie Star Welcome and Presentations:
- Office of Graduate Education
- The Graduate Public Service Internship/Graduate Assistantship/Whitney M. Young Graduate Fellowship/Illinois Legislative Staff Intern Programs
- Financial Aid
- USFSCO: Cashier’s Office
- I-Card, Meal Plans, and Campus Cash
- Office of Transition Services, Wrap-up and Evaluations
Graduate students should contact their advisor prior to the orientation program on November 10 for advising on their classes. There will be no graduate advisors at the November 10 program. You will be able to register for classes on Monday, November 10 – it is the first day for open registration when new students will be allowed to register.
Register for the November 10 Transfer/Graduate Student Orientation Program
Only new students who have been admitted and have returned their acceptance forms can participate in this program. We also encourage our new transfer students to bring up to two family members or guests with them so they can learn more about UIS. Our Registration Form is available online. If you have any difficulties with this link contact our office during business hours at 217/206-8181 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting to Campus
Things to Bring to Orientation
- Government Issued ID: Passport, Driver’s License, State ID (if you do not have a driver’s license) for your I-Card;
- Proof of Immunization (immunization records);
- Notes on what classes you should register;
- Cash in case you want to have dinner in the Food Emporium Dining Hall (we are providing refreshments, but you might want something more).
Students or Family Members with Disabilities
Should you need accommodations during orientation please indicate this on your registration form or contact our office at least three weeks before your Orientation Session if we need to schedule interpreters.