Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics Scholarships in Mathematics Education
The Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics will be presenting its annual Scholarships in Mathematics Education in October of 2010.
There will be a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 5 awards granted of $1500.00 to help defray educational expenses of the recipients.
To be eligible, a student must:
- Be enrolled in an accredited university or college in Illinois during Spring 2010.
- Have junior or senior status as of Spring 2010 with graduation during May 2010 or later and must be working on her/his first bachelor’s degree.
- Be a mathematics education major, a mathematics major with an education minor, or an education major with an official mathematics concentration.
- Have a total over all GPA of at least 3.00 from all colleges attended (based on 4.00).
- Submit the following:
- A completed ICTM scholarship application form.
- Transcripts from ALL COLLEGES ATTENDED (these may be student copies).
- Letters of recommendation from two mathematics teachers, high school or college. These letters must state the capacity in which the writer knew the applicant and address her/his potential as a mathematics teacher.
- A 200-300 word essay on why the student wishes to teach mathematics and what s/he sees as her/his contribution to the profession.
- Completed lesson planning form.
Students can find applications and information at http://www.ictm.org or email:Randy and Sue Pippen
24807 Winterberry Ln.
Plainfield, IL 60585
The completed application forms must be emailed or postmarked no later than March 6th, 2010. The recipients of the scholarship awards will be announced in June 2010 and awarded at the October 2010 Annual ICTM Conference banquet.