In order to maintain valid F-1 status, you must not work in the United States, unless the employment is specifically authorized under one of these categories:
- On-campus employment
- Employment authorized because of severe economic hardship
- Certain employment sponsored by international organizations
- Practical training ( Curricular or Optional – Compare the two options)
- OPT STEM Extension
All of these categories require that you be currently maintaining valid F-1 status. If you are out of status, you are not eligible for this or any other F-1 benefit. Each employment category has specific eligibility requirements. Please review these carefully and discuss them with a DSO.
J-1 Exchange Visitors
Each Exchange Visitor category has its own rules governing employment. J-1 students may engage in two kinds of employment:
- Academic training related to the course of study
- Other employment related to academic funding, on-campus work, or economic necessity
Each kind of employment has its own criteria and limits.
J-1 professors or researchers are permitted to work as described on the Form DS-2019 and may accept additional employment as authorized by the sponsor in accordance with the regulations. J-1 visiting scholars at UIS should not accept any employment not stipulated on the Form DS-2019 without consultation with the Responsible Officer.