Income Tax – 2013
All F-1 students in the United States during any part of a calendar year are required to file an income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service whether you are employed or not.
The Office of International Student Services will provide access to an online content library and tax preparation software to a limited number of students. There will be 249 slots available which will first be offered to current F-1 students. If not all slots are taken, the option to use the service will then be offered to OPT/STEM extension F-1s.
Please note the following:
- The OISS does not provide any other tax information or advice. Tax software is provided as a helpful service to the students, but OISS is not qualified to answer any tax-related questions.
- Income tax reporting and payment are the obligation of each individual student.
- If you do have tax-related questions, please contact H&R Block (information below) for their fee-based services.
Link to Foreign National Tax Resource (Windstar) login: https://trr.windstar.com/login.php
Click here for User Registration and Access Guide.
Click here to link to the Illinois Income Tax page for first-time filers.
You may also find these resources helpful especially if you decide not to use our tax preparation software.
- All students should fill out and file form 8843.
- Those with any income will also need to file form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.
- Other information for students and scholars can be found on the Internal Revenue Service website.
- Your country may have a tax treaty with the United States that affects your tax obligations.
- You may also have an obligation to file a return with the State of Illinois. These links will take you to the form that you will need and the instructions for completing it.
NAFSA: Association of International Educators has prepared a brochure that you may find helpful in understanding more about your obligations to file an income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service. It also contains some additional resources.
The following tax preparation office in Springfield can assist with both your federal and state returns. They have indicated that they are familiar with the requirements for F-1 students. You should inquire as to how much the assistance will cost when you make your appointment.
- H & R Block, 1873 Sangamon Ave. Please call 789-4100 and make an appointment with Carol Rodems. Hands supporting globe