Skip to main content
Inside Illinois Springfield
Meet Your Professors
- Angela Winand
Angela Winand Anchor link to Angela Winand video Listen to Professor Winand talk about the virtual world
Meet Angela Winand
African American Studies and Women and Gender Studies
- B.A. in Political Science and American History from the University of New Orleans
- M.A. in American Culture from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Ph.D. in American Culture from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- I get to know my students as individuals I teach courses on black women in film history, black culture in American culture, African American women’s biography and autobiography, the Harlem Renaissance, the Civil Rights Movement, and on African Americans and Afro-Creoles in New Orleans history and culture. I am a native of New Orleans.
- I love to shop, and have been known to spend the last $20 in my wallet on a book!
- There is always something interesting to learn about a person, place, thing or idea that you didn’t know before, even when you assume it’s not relevant to your life.
Major project underway:
- My interest with the computer program Second Life (SL) as CleoPatra Guyot brings together my interest in New Orleans history and culture with my interest in black women and popular culture. Cleo is a resident of New Toulouse, a role-play community set in a virtual recreation of New Orleans during the Jazz Age, who teaches other residents about New Orleans history and culture. I also blog about African American culture in Second Life, and I’m currently working on a study of representations of race and gender in SL.
Listen to Professor Winand talk about Second Life research:
Advice to prospective students:
Best thing about UIS:
- I get to know my students as individuals.
University of Illinois Springfield
One University Plaza
Springfield, Illinois 62703-5407
- © 2015 University of Illinois Springfield
Connect with us: