The Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
The Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client gives remote users a secure and encrypted VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection to the UIS campus network. It runs on Microsoft Windows (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Mobile and MAC OS X operating systems. Users who access their email remotely (other than by Outlook Web Access – webmail.uis.edu) or who access their campus computers remotely will want to install and use the AnyConnect VPN client.
Obtaining the AnyConnect Installer
The AnyConnect installer can be obtained from the WebStore for free at any time. The process for downloading the installer is the same for both Mac and Windows computers:
- Using any web browser (Safari, Internet Explorer, etc.) go to the WebStore Homepage (http://webstore.illinois.edu/) NOTE: This link will open in a new browser window or tab.
- Click Personal Purchase at the top of the page.
Webstore Login Link
- Now in the My Account box on the left click the link that says Login: You are a Guest. Webstore Login Page
- At the login screen, enter your entire UIS email address as your NetID. For example, John Doe would enter “email@example.com” and NOT simply “jdoe2″
BlueStem Login Page
- Enter your normal password when prompted
- Now scroll to the bottom and you will see Springfield Campus Products. Click on the link that says View Offers under the UIS logo.
Webstore Software List
- Scroll down until you see the Cisco Logo. The product will be labeled Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client – UIS Only. Click this link.
Cisco Anyconnect Item in Webstore
- At the next screen, click Add To Cart
Webstore Shopping Cart
- Click the I agree button at the bottom of the End User License Agreement page to continue. Unit Purchase End User License Agreement
- You will now be taken to your shopping cart. Click the orange button that says Check Out Webstore Shopping Cart
- Click the appropriate Download button
Webstore Software Order Details
Installing AnyConnect on a Macintosh Computer
As mentioned previously, Macintosh users should click Download next to VPN Installer for Macintosh Clients. Doing so will begin the download of the installer disk image (dmg). Once downloaded, your computer should automatically mount the dmg to your desktop. If this does not happen, locate the AnyConnect.dmg file in your Downloads folder, and double-click it to mount.
- Open the “AnyConnect” disk on your desktop and double-click vpn.pkg
- Click Continue to determine if the software can be installed. This will usually be completed instantaneously.
- Click Continue at the “Welcome to the vpnclient Installer” screen
- Click Continue at the Software Licensing Agreement and click Agree
- Click Install to begin the installation. If prompted, enter your computer password (not your NetID password) and click OK
- When the installer finished successfully, click Close
The AnyConnect VPN will then be located in the Cisco folder of your Applications folder. Double-click on Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client to use the program.
Installing AnyConnect on a Windows Computer
The AnyConnect VPN application can be installed and used on any version of Microsoft Windows. This includes the 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. While in WebStore, make sure to download from the Download link next to “VPN Installer for Windows Clients”.
- Double-click the anyconnect.exe after downloading. If you are given a Security Warning about the opening a file from the Internet or from an unknown publisher, click Run or OK to continue.
- Click Next when the Setup Wizard opens
- Click the circle next to “I accept the terms in the License Agreement” and click Next
- Click Install to begin the install process
- When the installer is done, click Finish
The AnyConnect VPN will then be installed. The program can then be accessed by clicking Start > All Programs > Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client > Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client.
Technology Support Center
 206-TECH, 206-6000
Toll-free in the U.S.:  847-0443