Securing Your Workstation
The University of Illinois Springfield seeks to ensure that users of information technology follow best practices. One such practice would be to lock your workstation while stepping away from your machine (e.g. to get another cup of coffee or to speak with a colleague down the hallway) thereby reducing the potential risk of misuse. Some instances of misuse could be:
- Reading sensitive email conversations
- Sending email on your behalf without permission
- Deleting important documents
- Accessing other open accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Gmail)
By locking your workstation, all opened documents and running applications continue to run and will be accessible once you login again with your NetID and UIS email password. There are two ways to lock your workstation: through a password-protected screensaver, or by locking it manually when you step away from your keyboard.
Lock Your Desktop With a Password-protected Screensaver
- Right-click on your desktop.
- Select Personalize.
- At the bottom of the window that opens, click Screen Saver.
- In the Wait box, set the amount of time your computer can be inactive before the screen saver turns on. For security reasons, a short amount of time, like 5 minutes, is best.
- Check the box that says On resume, display logon screen.
- Click OK.
Mac OS X
- Click the Apple menu.
- Click on System Preferences.
- Click on Desktop & Screensaver.
- Select Screen Saver tab, and set the amount of time your computer can be inactive before the screen saver turns on. For security reasons, a short amount of time, like 5 minutes, is best.
- Return to System Preferences and click Security and Privacy.
- In the General tab, check the box Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver. For security reasons, set it to a short time, 5 seconds or less.
Lock Your Desktop Manually
On the keyboard, simply hold the Windows (Flag) button and hit the “L” key.
Mac OS X
- Set up a “Hot Corner” on your desktop by going back into the Desktop and Screensaver system preference as before and choose corner of your desktop enable Start Screen Saver.
- Navigate to the hot corner created above to activate the screen saver.