Microsoft Lync is a communication tool that allows users to collaborate in real-time via different communications. These include instant message chat, audio and/or video chat, and desktop sharing. In addition, Microsoft Lync talks with the Exchange 2010 Unified Messaging systems to allow users to see when others are available to collaborate.
Lync is our campus-wide solution for web conferencing, making it a great tool for communicating with online students.
- Downloading and Installing Lync
- Working with Lync
- Additional Resources
- Student Use of Lync
- Lync for Mobile Devices
- Known Issues
Downloading and Installing Lync
Lync is available to all UIS employees via the UIS Webstore. There are two versions of Lync available for download – one for Macs and one for Windows.
Installation Notes: Microsoft releases updates for Lync within Windows Update. Running Windows Update and installing the latest version may help solve any issues you may encounter. Recommended hardware requirements are available.
Working with Lync
Printable hand-outs are available for step-by-step instructions in using Lync.
- Introduction to Microsoft Lync [PDF | 991 KB]
- Microsoft Lync for Faculty [PDF | 885 KB]
- Microsoft Lync for Students [PDF | 802 KB]
- Quicksheet: Using Lync for Students
- Uploading Lync Recordings to Kaltura
Meetings can be scheduled in advance through the Lync Scheduler. To log into the Lync Scheduler, enter UISAD\NetID for the Domain\Username.
Lync meetings can be recorded, and then uploaded to Kaltura for sharing the recording with others.
Microsoft offers several resources and tools to assist in maximizing your use of Lync.
A comparison of features available in the various Lync clients is available on Microsoft’s website.
Work Smart – Quick and Easy Guides
Student Use of Lync
Student can use the Lync Web App to participate in meetings, instant messaging, audio/video collaboration, and desktop sharing. The Web App is cross-platform and launches automatically when a Lync meeting link is opened. Check out this list of supported web browsers for the Lync Web App.
Lync for Mobile Devices
Mobile versions of Lync are available for Windows Phone, iPhone/iPad, and Android devices. Lync on mobile devices is fully functional, including instant messaging, video chat, and screen sharing. Students who wish to use Lync on their mobile device need to contact the ITS Client Services Center.
- For users with the full version of Lync installed, please use a browser other than Chrome to join meetings. Chrome does not detect that Lync is installed on your computer and will direct you to the Lync Web App. Every other browser recognizes that Lync is on your computer and launches your meeting in the full version of Lync.
- A microphone is required to connect to the audio portion in any of the meetings.
- Please submit a request to the ITS Client Services Center to activate the CISCO phone functionality to Lync.