- Health Services
- Resources and Links
- Life Style Modifications for Hypertension Prevention & Management
Life Style Modifications for Hypertension Prevention & Management
- Lose weight
- Limit alcohol intake to no more than 1oz of ethanol (24oz of beer, 10oz of wine, or 2oz of 100 proof whiskey) per day. OR 0.5oz for women or lighter-weight people.
- Increase aerobic physical activity. (30-45 minutes on most days of the week.
- Reduce sodium intake to no more than 100 mmol/d (2.4g of sodium or 6g of sodium chloride.)
- Maintain adequate intake of dietary potassium (approximately 90 mmol/d).
- Maintain adequate intake of dietary calcium and magnesium for general health.
- Stop smoking and reduce intake of dietary saturated fat and cholesterol for overall cardiovascular health.
From: The sixth Report of the Joint National Committee on Detection, Education and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC VI). Arch Intern Med 1997; 157:2413.
UIS Campus Health Service (217)206-6676