Required Training for Investigators
Effective August 30, 2012, all investigators, students, and research staff conducting research with human subjects must complete training and education requirements every 3 years. Research will not be approved until the training requirements are met. Documentation of training must be provided to the IRB Office with all new applications or renewals.
Core required education and training will be completed through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). Detailed instructions on registering for and completing the training can be found below in the section labeled Training on the CITI Website. A printable version of the training procedure including snapshots from the CITI website is available at this link. CITI Training Instructions (PDF)
The initial training module, Social and Behavioral Research Basic Course Gradebook, will include signing The Integrity Assurance Statement and six modules. The minimum passing score per module is 80. The IRB Required Social Behavioral Core CITI Training Modules include:
- Belmont Report and CITI Course Introduction
- History and Ethical Principles – SBR
- Defining Research with Human Subjects – SBR
- Assessing Risk in Social Behavioral Sciences – SBR
- Informed Consent – SBR
- Privacy and Confidentiality – SBR
Additional CITI modules that are necessary may include the following if appropriate to the investigator’s research. For example:CITI Module Investigation
Research with Prisoners -SBR Prisoners
Research with Children – SBR Children to age 18
Research in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools – SBR Also includes private and parochial schools
International Research – SBR Subjects outside the United States
Internet Research – SBR Internet based research
TRAINING ON THE CITI WEBSITE
UIS and UIUC have a collaborative agreement for all UIS investigators, students, and research staff conducting research with human subjects to access the CITI training modules through the UIUC registration.
- Go to the CITI website at http://www.citiprogram.org
- Register as a new user by scrolling down to “New Users” and click on Register Here.
1. Select your institution or organization
- In the Participating Institutions box, find University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and click on it, skip the remaining boxes.
2. Create your user name and password
- Follow the instructions for creating a user name and password.
3. Security Question and Answer
- Select a security question from the dropdown box.
4. Enter your name
- Enter your first and last name.
5. Enter your email address
- The system allows you to enter up to two different email addresses.
6. Gender, Ethnicity and Race
- Complete as directed.
7. CME/CEU credits
- CME/CEU credits are not required by the UISIRB. Click no.
8. Course Survey
- Complete by answering “yes” or “no.”
- Click on the Submit button.
“THIS COMPLETES THE REGISTRATION PROCESS”
After you have registered with CITI the system will open the main menu giving you access to the training modules. In the upper left corner of the page you will see your name and member ID.
- Scroll down to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign line and open the View University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign instruction page. This page provides an overview of how to start and complete the course and provides a link for questions.
- Scroll down to My Courses and select “Enter.” This wll open the acess page to the required training modules. Begin by clicking on The Integrity Assurance Statement and completing as requested. You may then begin opening and completing each module.
- Click on and complete the required modules and accompanying quizzes (found at the end of the module). You are encouraged to complete any or all of the optional modules. If your research involves subjects from these modules, you are required to complete the module.
- If you do not score an 80% or above on that module, please go straight back to it until you get a passing grade.
- After you have completed all the modules in this required course, follow the instructions for viewing and saving a completion report.
- If you find you did not pass a module but already printed the report, go back to the home page, click on the link “add a course or update your learner groups”, go to the additional electives section and choose the courses you did not pass. All the courses from the basic will be there. Once you complete it, you can reprint your report with the updated scores.
- You may log on to the site at a later date to view and print a completion report.
- Go to http://www.citiprogram.org/
- Scroll down to My Courses. The line will say Course in the Protection of Human Subjects and will show the date you passed the course. Click on Print. This will bring up a window that shows all the courses you have completed.
- Go to the right side and click on Print Completion Report. (This will prompt the report to appear and open a print button on your browser. Select the print button for Adobe PDF. Click on the button and save the report as a PDF document in your files.