Graduate Certificate in Teaching English
Get a Certificate!
- Specialized knowledge and skills for teaching secondary institutions and community colleges or dual-credit courses
- Composition, literature, language for classroom instruction and curricular development
- Certificate available with or without Master’s Degree
Please note: This certificate does not provide teaching certification for any state board of education.
Please note: This certificate does not guarantee a dual-credit teaching position at any particular college.
The deadline for Fall 2016 admission is March 1, 2016.
- Students must meet UIS requirements for admission to graduate study
- Bachelor’s Degree in English or other area of study
- Non-English BA must have prerequisite courses equivalent to English Minor. Submit transcript for evaluation.
For inquiries, please contact: Dr. Lan Dong, English Graduate Admissions Committee Chair – firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, submit:
- UIS Non-Degree Seeking Graduate Application: www.uis.edu/admissions/applyToday
- Complete transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Cover Letter – indicating purpose for applying
- GRE not required for admission to certificate program
- Analytic Writing Sample – 2,500-3,500 words
- Two recommendation letters
- Minimum one Academic Reference
Student may choose to apply to the M.A. program during course of study. Additional materials will be required. Please see Master’s Degree (On-Campus) Admissions Process for more information.
Candidates for the certificate will be expected to complete course requirements with a grade of C+ or better. See UIS Catalog for course descriptions.
Coursework: 18 hours
ENG 501: Digital Humanities Research – 4 hours
ENG 550: Teaching Writing – 4 hours
ENG 551: Teaching Literature – 4 hours
ENG 552: Sociolinguistics and English Studies – 4 hours
ENG 553: Teaching Practicum – 2 hours