Wbesite news--Sandra Huxtable, Elizabeth Kesinger, Pam McClelland, Elizabeth Janeteas--McClelland Scholarship Above: Pamela McClelland (third from left) with 2014-15 scholarship recipients Sandra Huxtable, Elizabeth Kesinger and Elizabeth Janeteas
Pamela McClelland to receive 2015 William E. Winter Award for Outstanding Advocate Leadership at UIS
William E. Winter, CEO Emeritus of the 7-Up Company and a longtime member of the University of Illinois Foundation Board of Directors, headed the volunteer component of the University’s first major campaign in the early 1980s. He became a director of the U of I Foundation in 1984 and is currently a life director. In 1990 the Foundation established the William E. Winter Award for Outstanding Advocate Leadership in Bill’s honor.
Pamela McClelland BA ’90, MA ’95, this year’s recipient of the Winter Award, is a retired partner of Kerber, Eck & Braeckel LLP. Pam came to the university as a single mother in her forties. She enrolled at UIS not for a degree but merely to refresh her bookkeeping skills. With encouragement from accountancy professors like Don Stanhope, Pam soared and before long, graduated with highest honors. Then she not only passed the certified public accountant exam but won the Elijah Watts Sells Award, bestowed on students who score in the top five percent nationally on the CPA exam.
Pam joined Kerber, Eck & Braekel (KEB), one of Springfield’s top accounting firms. On the way to becoming a partner, she added a master’s degree from UIS and became one of UIS’ best advocates. She has been instrumental in bringing many scholarships to UIS, including the Donald F. Stanhope Alumni Scholarship, the Leona Vollintine Accounting Scholarship in Honor of Donald Stanhope, the Leona Stanford Vollintine Scholarship, the KEB Accountancy Scholarship, and her own scholarship, the Pam McClelland Accountancy Scholarship.
In addition to advocacy for scholarships, Pam has been an active volunteer on campus. In 1999, she received the University of Illinois Alumni Association (UIAA) Loyalty Award, and in 2004, she became the first to receive the UIAA Distinguished Service Award. She is currently vice-chairman of the UIS Campus Alumni Advisory Board (CAAB).
Pam will receive her award at the UIS Celebration of Philanthropy on Thursday, May 21, 2015.
- UIS announces $2.4M raised for Student Union
- Faculty and Staff Set Record
- James J. Pancrazio Scholarship Fund Now Endowed
- UIS Athletics Welcomes Paul Kabbes, Associate Director for External Operations
- China Exchange Program fund honors retired professor Dr. Stephen Schwark
- Joan Buckles Retires
- Moy Fund Generates Inaugural Grants
- Pave the Way Fund will raise funds to turf Kiwanis Stadium and establish the Aydin Gonulsen endowed scholarship.
- Bank of Springfield Gift Boosts Momentum for UIS Athletics.
- Access Illinois Scholarship Initiative: Providing Access to Students in Need
- Prairie Stars Institutes a New Booster Club: The STARS Club