Horace Mann photo for page Above: Teaching Education Program students at UIS.
Horace Mann Companies Endows Scholarship for Teachers
The Horace Mann Companies, which was Founded by Educators for Educators®, is proving its commitment to educators through a new endowed scholarship at UIS, created for undergraduate students with need in the College of Education and Human Services (education focus).
Because it was matched through the now-completed Access Illinois Initiative, the impact from this endowed scholarship will be doubled for the next ten years.
Founded in Springfield
Horace Mann provides insurance and financial solutions for teachers and all school employees. Named for Horace Mann, the father of American public education, the company was founded in 1945 by two Springfield, Illinois, teachers, and company headquarters are here in Springfield.
The company is especially proud to have been named one of “ America’s Top 50 Most Trustworthy Financial Companies” for 2014 by Forbes Magazine.
We are so grateful that Horace Mann has chosen to invest in the future teachers who are preparing here at UIS!
- Donors to Manny Velasco Athletics Scholarship
- Syma Mendelsohn (Syma R. Mendelsohn Endowed Scholarship Fund)
- Nancy and Charles “Chick” Chapin (Chapin/Lanphier Scholarship Fund)
- John Takeuchi (Scholarship for international students)
- Shellie and Tyler Treat (Treat Family Women in IT Scholarship Fund)
- Wayne and Margie Fox (Annual award for unpaid internships)
- Melissa Stout (the Jane and John Stout Educational Scholarship)
- Therkildsen and Barrows Families (Therkildsen Field Station)
- Sally Pancrazio (and many others)
- Paula (Polly) and Lou Myers
- Herb and Elizabeth Denniss
- Margaret Wepner