Specifications for design, printing and usage of standardized printed stationery materials
The University of Illinois adopted a standard design format for all printed stationery materials in 1982. With the approval of the University Policy Council, stationery for the University of Illinois was redesigned in July 1996 and a unified look was adopted for all three campuses. All stationery orders must be filled according to this standard design format.
- Please contact us if you need additional details.
- Download the Policy Council letter (pdf)
- Download the UIS chancellor’s memorandum (pdf)
Printed stationery materials are: letterheads, second sheets, half-sheets, envelopes, memo pads, business cards, and mailing labels.
General guidelines for stationery include the following:
- Paper, inks, and typefaces used will be standard on all printed materials.
- In July 2009, UIS dropped the “at” from its name. However, the original name remains on our official stationery (see the Naming Standards page.)
- In October 2012, the university tagline and brand attributes were added to the back of official business cards.
Unit logos or illustrations are not permitted because the design calls for the inclusion of a campus mark.
- Letterhead is printed on specialty watermarked bond. Because of this, Campus Services is the only source for watermark bond for letterhead and envelopes.
- An individual’s name and title cannot be printed on stationery unless he or she is a University Scholar or a professor holding a named chair. In the latter instance, the professor may use his or her name as well as the name of the endowed chair.
- Memo pads may incorporate an individual’s name and title.
- The policy applies to all campus units regardless of the source of funds used to pay for printed materials and regardless of the vendor.
- The policy applies to all printed stationery materials charged to University funds, including state, institutional, auxiliary enterprise, self-supporting, contract, grant or gift, or personal.
- Campus Services will not supply stationery or business cards differing in design or content from the standard format.
- Units will not be reimbursed for direct expenditures made through personal funds, petty cash, etc., for printed materials that do not meet campus standards.
- See our Samples page for a an example of official UIS letterhead, envelope, and business card.
- To order stationery, letterhead, envelopes, business cards, labels, note pads, please use our Order for Stationery form.