Brand Graphics Standards
According to Chancellor Susan J. Koch, the University of Illinois Springfield brand “is not a slogan or a logo. It is a promise an organization makes and keeps to its constituents.”
In addition to the university wordmark and the university logo, the brand graphics allow us to deliver a consistent impression of the university. However, the graphics are not themselves the university brand. The success of the university’s brand and communication relies on your cooperation with our brand graphic standards.
- The brand graphics are a standardized graphic representation that become a visual symbol of the university’s identity and branding.
- The brand graphics are designed to visually represent the university and may be used on print and electronic mediums, and promotional materials where appropriate.
The brand graphics and related standards were established with the Leadership lived campaign. The Leadership lived campaign was led by Michelle Green, director of marketing.
When the Leadership lived campaign was to be launched, Creative Services was assigned to develop and execute a print publication campaign that included the designing of a brand graphic. This led to the design of the Petal Burst.
- The Petal Burst is a representation of the brand attribute of a right-sized supportive community. It is a diverse but similar group of individual elements that come together to create an entity greater than the sum of its parts.
- The Leadership lived tagline, in a graphical format, was developed by an outside agency but Creative Services improved upon the initial design.
Brand Graphic: Tagline
Leadership lived brand graphic
Leadership lived brand graphic
Note: The tagline graphic has been updated as of May 2013
Brand Graphic: Petal Burst
Petal Burst Graphic
Usage Guidelines: Leadership lived
- The “Leadership lived” graphic has spacing built into the file. Do not alter the defined spacing.
- Provide adequate spacing between the tagline and other elements [text or graphic] to ensure visibility.
- The “Leadership lived” graphic should not be distorted in any way, horizontally or vertically. Do not squeeze or stretch image.
- Other images (graphics, photos, etc.) should not cover or overlap the “Leadership lived” graphic, nor should text be placed on top of the graphic in any manner.
Note: For body copy [body text], the tagline Leadership lived can be displayed in bold or within quotation marks, if needed. The “l” in lived is always lowercase.
Usage Guidelines: Petal Burst
The Petal Burst is custom-designed and should not be altered. There are two versions of the Petal Burst – 1) half, and 2) quarter.
For the purpose of a consistent graphic identity, please adhere to the following guidelines when you use the Petal Burst:
- The Petal Burst should be used “as is” but can be arranged to appear on the left, right, top, or bottom.
- The colors of the Petal Burst cannot be altered.
- The Petal Burst graphic should not be distorted in any way, horizontally or vertically. Do not squeeze or stretch image.
- Individual petals within the Petal Burst cannot be removed or cropped.
- The Petal Burst should not be used as a watermark with a paragraph of text on top.
- Other images (graphics, photos, etc.) should not cover or overlap the Petal Burst, nor should text be placed on top of the graphic in any manner.
- Provide adequate spacing between the Petal Burst and other elements [text or graphic] to ensure visibility.
- The Petal Burst should not be used adjacent to the university logo but may be used adjacent to the university wordmark.
Note: A full version of the Petal Burst has been used in print and electronic mediums. These projects have been carefully crafted by the Creative Services team. Implementation of the full Petal Burst will be addressed on a case-by-case basis. For questions and acceptable usage, please contact us.
- Hi-res versions of the brand graphics for print
- 72 dpi versions of the brand graphics for Web and screen-based presentations