What is Fast Pass?
- Fast Pass allows for UIS students to more readily control and meet their career goals based on their needs and free time.
- There’s no more waiting in line! Just login, pick a time, and show up later that day.
- You will be sure to get your 30 minute appointment with your career guru on-time, when you need it.
- Who can use Fast Pass?
- When is Fast Pass offered?
- What can I work on during my Fast Pass session?
- How do I schedule a Fast Pass?
- How should I prepare for my Fast Pass?
- Fast Pass Appointment Policies
- Should I wait until my last semester to get started?
Who can use Fast Pass?
All UIS students who are currently registered for (fall, summer,spring) courses may use Career Fast Pass. Career Fast Pass servicesare also available to UIS alumni who have purchased alumni package 1 or 2.
When is Fast Pass offered?
Fast Pass will be offered at different times on different daysof the week. We’ll adjust our schedule to students’ needs based onevents, etc.
What can I work on during my Fast Pass time?
- Resume and cover letter critique/review
- Grad School Personal Statement critique/review
- Mock interview
- Other professional document critique
- Basic career information
How to schedule a Fast Pass?
It is easy.
4 EZ Steps
- Login to UIS CareerConnect.
- Click on the Events/Fast Pass tab at the top of your screen.
- Pick a date/time and then click the RSVP button.
- Show up! (or meet us via Skype, or call in).
- After you have clicked RSVP, you will receive a Fast Pass session confirmation email.
- In this Fast Pass session confirmation email there will be a link to complete a quick online form if you choose to work with the counselor over the phone, or online via Skype.
- Fill out the form to provide your Skype name and click submit. The online form is sent to the Career Development front desk.
- If you choose to engage in the Fast Pass session via telephone, it will be your responsibility to call the Career Development Center at 217-206-6508 on the scheduled date and time.
How should a student prepare?
- A student should prepare for his/her Fast Pass session by completing a first draft of his/her professional document to bring to the session.
- Optimal Resume is a great tool to utilize and create your first resume or cover letter. Optimal allows you to customize each section, as well as provides samples to gain ideas on appropriate content and grammar. It also has a module related to interview preparation and practice.
- If you are seeking quick answers to other generalized career information, we suggest that you write down your career questions ahead of time and bring with you to maximize your 30 minute session.
- A student should prepare for a mock interview as follows:
Fast Pass Appointment Policy
- A general rule of thumb is to limit each student and alumnus to only one Fast Pass session per day to fairly distribute available time slots.
- If a student is unable to keep a scheduled appointment, he/she should cancel and/or reschedule the appointment by canceling through CareerConnect or by calling (217)206-6508 as soon as possible. Please give at least 24 hour notice if possible.
- If a student is unable to give at least 24 hour notice, he/she will not be able to cancel the appointment in Career Connect and should call the CDC.
- Clients who reschedule but do not attend two (2) consecutive sessions risk being placed on a waiting list before being able to re-engage in services.
Should I wait until my last semester to get started?
Dustin Wax, author for Lifehack, says, “No,the time to startthinking about life after graduation is now nomatter where you are in your education process. The earlier youstop thinking about college as a break from “real life” and start thinking aboutit as a stage of real life, the better. Thatdoesn’t mean you have to start sending outresumes the first day of your freshman year, but rather that youshould always be thinking about the arc you’refollowing in college and where it’s likely totake you, and how you can shape it to take youwhere you’ll be happiest. Read the article.