Who To Contact
Please note: The UIS Career Development Center has suspended its CLEP exam program.
This means that UIS students or students from other colleges who wish to take a CLEP exam will need to find an alternate testing location.
Lincoln Land Community College is the nearest CLEP testing center but others are available: Locate a testing center anywhere in the United States.
- Are you a UIS Student who needs to know which exam(s) to take? Contact your Academic Advisor.
- Need to know if your CLEP transcript has arrived and been processed by UIS? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Locate another CLEP testing center.
The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) gives you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know by earning qualifying scores on any of 33 examinations. Earn credit for knowledge you’ve acquired through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits, or internships.
Where Can I Take a CLEP Exam?
CLEP exams are administered throughout the year at over 1,400colleges and universities in the United States and abroad.
UIS students may take their CLEP exams at any open CLEP testing center. UIS does not currently administer CLEP exams.
Who Is Eligible to Take CLEP Exams?
Any undergraduate student.
*** Make sure to check with your school and academic advisor regarding which exams are accepted.
Credit Awarded for CLEP Exams
For UIS Students/Prospective Students
- Current Students: UIS students should consult with an academic advisor to find out which CLEP exams, if any, they may be eligible to take.
- Prospective Students: Check with an Admissions Evaluator at (217) 206-4847, to find out which exams are accepted.
NOTE: CLEP exam credits are granted based on the requirements listed in the UIS Catalog in effect on the date that the CLEP exam was administered. Policies for CLEP can be found in the Undergraduate Programs section of the Catalog.
List of Available Exams
CLEP offers 33 exams in a variety of areas.
Composition and Literature
- American Literature *
- Analyzing and Interpreting Literature *
- College Composition
- College Composition Modular *
- English Literature *
*If your school requires the optional essay for this exam, you must send with this registration form an additional $10 for the essay booklet, which will take 2-3 weeks to arrive at our office, delaying the date for which you may register.
- French Language (Levels 1 and 2)
- German Language (Levels 1 and 2)
- Spanish Language (Levels 1 and 2)
History and Social Sciences
- American Government
- Human Growth and Development
- Introduction to Educational Psychology
- Introductory Psychology
- Introductory Sociology
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Social Sciences and History
- History of the United States I: Early Colonization to 1877
- History of the United States II: 1865 to the Present
- Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
- Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present
Science and Mathematics
- College Algebra
- College Mathematics
- Natural Sciences
- Financial Accounting
- Introductory Business Law
- Information Systems and Computer Applications
- Principles of Management
- Principles of Marketing
- Examinees are limited to one CLEP test per session.
- Any examination may be repeated 6 months or more after the original exam date. Scores on tests repeated earlier than 6 months will be cancelled and test fees forfeited.
Preparing for Your CLEP Exam
Students can find the following study materials on the CollegeBoard CLEP website.
Students with Disabilities
Please contact your choseng testing center well in advance of the test date to make the necessary arrangements. Only students with documented hearing, learning, physical or visual disabilities are eligible to receive testing accommodations.
- Test Fee:
- For CLEP exams taken on or after July 1 , 2012: $80 per exam
- Payment made on the day of the exam at your exam workstation. You may pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover) or by check,or money order made payable to College Level Examination Program, no cash )
- Test Administration Fee: Some schools charge an administration fee. Contact your testing center to find out what that fee is: Locate a testing center anywhere in the United States.
For all exams (EXCEPT the College Composition and College Composition Modulalr), you will receive a copy of your exam score upon completion of the exam.
If you want to send your scores to a college, employer, or certifying agency, you must select this option through the examination software on the day of the exam. One transcript (score report) is provided to one school with your testing fee. You must select your score recipient at the time you test to take advantage of this. A $20 fee will be charged for each transcript ordered at a later date.
All scores are sent by first-class mail.
Scores are kept on file by CLEP for 20 years. Scores earned by military personnel are retained by DANTES and are kept on file for a longer period. Acceptance of the scores is the institution’s discretion.
For the College Composition exam, essays are scored 3 to 4 weeks after you complete your exam. Separate scores are not available for the multiple choice and essay portion of the exam.