Welcome to the Beyond the Classroom Program! Beyond the Classroom connects UIS students with Alumni and Employers in real-world career settings. Through job shadowing, informational interviewing, internships/externships, and career immersions,students receive glimpses into their future career paths,experience to include on their resume, and unique networking opportunities! Students will work with their career counselor, who will serve as a resource to guide them, with the goal of the student independently identifying and creating their own Beyond the Classroom experiences in the future!
Interested in the Beyond the Classroom Program?
Here’s how to get started:
- Meet with your career counselor by making an appointment.
- Great way to network by meeting and speaking one-on-one with a professional!
- Ask valuable questions!
- Gain a unique glimpse into potential future careers!
To learn more about job shadowing, visit the Active Decision Making section of the GOALS program.
- Gain valuable information from employers in an environment that is run by you!
- Ask the employer questions about their career path, pros and cons of a certain industry, ways to get your foot in the door, and much more!
To learn more about informational interviewing, visit the Active Decision Making section of the GOALS program.
- Can range from very structured to very flexible experiences!
- Great way to gain practical experience to place on your resume!
- Network with professionals in your field!
- Receive valuable mentoring from a professional!
- Obtain references for future job searches!
To learn more about internships visit the Active Decision Making section of the GOALS program.
Learn more about these unique opportunites on our Career Immersion page.
The purpose of the Career Development Center is to assist UISstudents with the career development process. This includes self-assessment, career exploration and preparation, and career decision-making. We are available to serve YOU, any time,anywhere.