Career exploration can be very exciting but overwhelming due to the number of options available. Therefore rather than focusing specifically on one occupation, it might be helpful to think in terms of determining a career path encompassing a variety of occupations. As you discover careers of interest, also pay attention to those which are not of interest. Another tip is to make sure you have valid information about a career from a variety of resources and not base your decision solely on one person’s advice or experience. As you begin to collect information, look for patterns which may evolve.
The Career Analysis Worksheet (PDF) can help you organize your thoughts.
As you begin the decision-making process, follow the guidelines below:
- Identify the decision to be made
- Gather relevant information
- Identify alternatives
- Weigh the evidence
- Choose among alternatives
- Take action
- Review decision and consequences
Tools for Career Exploration
- Job Accommodations
- State of Illinois job title and class specifications
- United States Federal Government: Exploring careers with the federal government
- Career Profiles