Informational interviewing is an excellent tool that can be used to:
- Filter through potential job positions.
- Determine whether you want to pursue a specific career path or move on to graduate school.
- Allow you the opportunity to ask questions that you would not have been able to ask otherwise.
- Gather a more informed view of potential careers and an expanded network.
Informational Interviewing image
Preparing for an Informational Interview
To properly prepare for an informational interview, be sure to:
- Research the company
- Dress for success
- Update and bring your resume. The Career Development Center offers resume services to those who are in need of help.
- Practice interviewing with the Career Development Center, family, or friends
- Call to confirm your appointment
- Prepare and prioritize a list of open ended questions
Informational Interview Questions
Question to consider asking:
- General questions about the career field
- Questions pertaining to all aspects of the interviewee’s job
- Preparations for the career
- Interviewee’s career path
- Culture of the company
- Company’s needs
- Opportunities for advancement within the company
- Seeking advice if you are a career changer
- Seeking general advice and referrals from your interviewee
Questions to avoid asking:
- Do not ask blunt questions about their salary
- Do not ask for a job or help getting a job
- Do not ask highly personal questions
Beyond the Classroom Program
Schedule an appointment with your career counselor today to participate in the Beyond the Classroom Program and begin expanding your network through informational interviewing!
- Partner with a career counselor, who will guide you through your informational interviewing experience!
- Receive guidance and leads from a career counselor!
- Gain valuable information from employers in an environment that is run by you!
- Ask the employer questions about his/her career path, pros and cons of a certain industry, ways to get your foot in the door, and much more!
Tools for Informational InterviewingHands On Resource Button - H in circle
Quint Careers: Informational Interviewing Tutorial
Colby Career Services Informational Interviewing Tutorial