Why Join the Honors Program?
“The mission of the UIS Capital Scholars Honors Program is to provide a challenging, interdisciplinary, educational experience in which well-qualified, motivated students gain understanding and leadership skills to engage the world.”
There are plenty of reasons to join, but here are just a few benefits that the UIS Capital Honors Program has to offer:
- Scholarships available for all students admitted to the program (2015-2016 Scholarship Chart)
- A brand new Laptop Computer
- Study abroad opportunities
- A focus on building leadership skills transferable to one’s career
- A challenging, interdisciplinary and integrated curriculum that
stresses critical thinking, communication, problem-solving, and research skills
- Access to research and internship opportunities
- Opportunities for personal, academic, social, and civic growth
- Unlimited opportunities to participate in student governance, organizations, clubs
- The Lincoln Residence Hall – the locus of our living-learning community and one of the newest residence halls in the state
CAP Honors Program Fee
Students in the Capital Scholars Honors Program are assessed a $300 fee each semester. The CAP Honors Program Fee helps fund the various resources that are available to students within the CAP Honors Program. This includes helping to offset the cost of the new laptop every student receives upon entering the Program. This includes full maintenance and a full four-year warranty during the student’s time here at UIS. Additionally, the program fee helps to cover costs incurred during other cultural and social events that are planned for the students. Some of the these events include the Faculty in Residence trips to off-campus sites, stipends to those peer-tutors who are trained within the Program and help their fellow students, and the many events throughout the year sponsored by our peer-mentoring program.