Skip to main content

University of Illinois Springfield

Utility links

UIS Links

Department of Business Administration University of Illinois Springfield




Frequently asked questions about the Business Administration Bachelor degree

How do I know who my academic adviser is, and how do I contact him or her?

  • For Freshmen and Sophomores most advising for general education requirements is done in Undergraduate Academic Advising: (217)296-7471.

When you’re ready to take your major requirements, BUS faculty serve as acadmic advisers . You can find out who your adviser is by checking your DARS report or by calling the program office at 206-6780. Most advisers set up their own advising appointments and often the preferred contact is email. See the list of BUS faculty and emails below. If you need help contacing your adviser, please call the program office at 206-6780.

Atul Agarwal    UHB 4025   
Leo Bin    UHB 4045   
Dyanne Ferk    UHB 4076   
Laurel Newman    UHB 4072   
Nancy Scannell    UHB 4055   
Robert Wright    UHB 4036   
Jorge Villegas    UHB 4053

Back to top

What is my DARS report, where do I find it, and why do I need it?

  • A student’s DARS report determines eligibility for graduation. The student is responsible to access the report and confirm his/her status with respect to requirements of his/her degree program. DARSweb for students takes completed coursework (UIS and transfer) and in progress courses including registration for upcoming semesters and feeds all that information into a set of degree requirements. The default is the declared major (BBA) with entry year catalog unless a petition has been completed requesting another catalog year. There’s also an option to run the report for other degrees and catalog years.

To access your DARS report: Degree Audits.

You need to use DARS because it’s one of the best ways to keep track of your progress toward graduation. It takes a day for new registration to be available – but then you can check if courses fulfill graduation requirements, whether they’re general education, ECCE, or BBA major requirements. Need help understanding the report? Contact the program office at 206-6780.
Back to top

Do I need to take business courses in a certain order?

  • Foundation coursework (prerequisites) should be completed first and ideally in the first 60 hours. Foundation courses may be completed elsewhere and transferred to UIS or completed at UIS. Before enrolling in College Core courses be sure you have completed all prerequisites for the course, as students who are not in compliance will be removed from the course. The College Core course MGT 488 may only be taken after all core courses are completed and during the last semester of coursework or within the last 12 semester hours of coursework. Business administration electives are offered on a rotating basis – it’s a good idea to take them when available if you have the prerequisite. A list of BUS and CBM electives for each semester is available in the program office. See your BBA adviser too for a graduation plan.

Back to top

What if a class I want to take is full?

  • You may be given the opportunity to place your name on a waitlist when you try to register. Add
    your name on the waitlist and check with that course’s department secretary for more information. You may want to discuss your situation with the professor teaching the course, especially if you need to take the course to graduate that semester. There’s an email link to the instructor from each course section in the Dynamic Course Schedule.

Back to top

When may I complete an internship if I am an undergraduate student?

  • In order to enroll in an internship, you must have completed at least 12 hours of MAJOR course work. A critical component of an internship is the application of theories learned through your course work. Therefore, you should not enroll in an internship until you have completed enough hours in the program to have the acquired skills needed in the internship. Usually, this means an internship is completed sometime during your senior year (after completion of 90 semester hours). You may find a listing of possible placements at the Applied Study Term Program webpage:

Back to top

May I transfer courses from other universities to count toward my upper division (300 and 400) College Core or BUS/CBM Electives requirements for my BBA degree?

  • Students may petition the Business Administration Program to transfer upper-division hours earned at another 4 year university. You may petition these hours for general elective credit or toward BBA major requirements. For a BBA student planning to use upper division transfer hours, at least 50% of all business credit hours must be completed at UIS (20 hrs). At least 12 hrs of the College Core must be fulfilled at UIS (in other words, only 3 core courses can be transferred in). MGT 488 is a capstone course and cannot be waived or transferred from another institution. Check with your academic adviser.

Back to top

Leadership lived


University of Illinois Springfield
One University Plaza
Springfield, Illinois 62703-5407



Connect with us:

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.