Become eligible just by applying!
Did you know that all undergraduate students are eligible for merit-based scholarships? Simply apply to UIS and Admissions staff will automatically review your eligibility. Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply early!
- First-year freshmen students are eligible for Lincoln Merit Scholarships
- Undergraduate transfer students are eligible for Transfer Student Merit Scholarships
- Other scholarship opportunities are available. Please visit the Office of Financial Assistance website for more information.
- Living out of state? We have Out of State grants available
- International students are eligible for International Student Awards
Lincoln Merit Scholarships for Incoming Freshmenstudents quad classroom
professor professor students
Lincoln Merit Scholarships for Incoming Freshmen
When applying to UIS, all undergraduate freshmen are automatically eligible for Lincoln Merit Scholarships. These scholarships are automatically applied upon admission and are based solely on GPA and ACT scores. The amounts listed represent per-year awards and can be renewed for a total of four years if the student maintains a college GPA of 3.0 or higher. Contact the Admissions Office for more information.
Lincoln Merit Scholarships
4.0 and above GPA
3.75 – 3.99 GPA
3.5 – 3.74 GPA
3.0 – 3.49
32-36/1400-1600 $10,000 $9,500 $9,000 $8,500
30-31/1330-1390 $8,000 $6,500 $5,000 $4,500
27-29/1210-1320 $7,500 $6,000 $4,000 $3,500
24-26/1090-1200 $5,000 $4,000 $3,500 $3,000
21-23/980-1080 $3,500 $3,250 $3,000 $2,500
Students admitted to the Capital Scholars Honors Program receive a scholarship that takes the place of the Lincoln Merit Award. Those scholarships tend to be higher than the Lincoln Awards, ranging from $4,500 to over $12,000 per year.
President’s Award Program (Illinois Residents Only)
UIS places great value on engaging a diverse student body. The President’s Award Program recognizes high achieving students from backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresentated on University of Illinois campuses. To see the requirements for the award, please refer to the President’s Award Program website.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
Merit Scholarships for Transfer Students
The University of Illinois Springfield offers merit-based scholarships to new transfer students!
Scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply early!
Requirements and Eligibility
(Must meet all elibility requirements in your first semester of enrollment at UIS)
- Must have a qualifying cumulative grade point average
- Must have 30 transfer hours by entry to UIS
- Must be fully admitted and enrolled in a degree-seeking program
- Must be enrolled in an on-campus program (online programs are not eligible)
- Students already holding a Bachelor’s Degree (i.e. students seeking a second Bachelor’s Degree)
are not eligible
- Must have valid FAFSA on file with the Office of Financial Assistance by the first day of classes
- Must have official final transcripts received by the Office of Admissions by the start of classes
- Your admissions application will serve as the scholarship application
- Renewable for up to three years with an institutional GPA of 3.0 or better
Award Amounts (Prior to Fall 2013)
- 3.00 GPA or higher will receive $1,500 (full-time enrollment);
$750 (part-time enrollment)
Award Amounts (Effective starting Fall 2013)
- 3.25 – 3.49 GPA will receive $1,500
- 3.50 – 3.74 GPA will receive $2,000
- 3.75 – 4.00 GPA will receive $2,500
Amounts are based on full-time enrollment at UIS and are annual, to be split between the fall and spring semesters. Students attending part time will receive half the designated full-time amount.
Scholarships will be awarded to students who meet the criteria based on their admission date until funds have been exhausted. Students admitted conditionally pending receipt of final transcripts due to in-progress courses at their community college will be considered for the scholarship, provided their final transcript arrives by the deadline and they still meet the eligibility criteria. The deadline for having final transcripts in for full admission is the start of classes. Awards will be disbursed through the Office of Financial Assistance and credited toward educational costs on the student’s account — half in the fall semester and the other half in the spring semester. This scholarship is renewable with an institutional cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships
Members of Phi Theta Kappa are encouraged to apply for the $2500 Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship. The application and instructions can be found on the Financial Assistance Scholarships Page.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
Out of State GrantsUIS Burst Leadership Lived
The University of Illinois Springfield offers merit-based grants to new out of state students!
Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, so apply early!
UIS is always looking for qualified students from around the country. We frequently review our grant offerings to ensure we serve a geographically diverse population. For information about our grant to students from states outside of Illinois, please follow the link for the semester for which you plan to apply to UIS:
Grants will be awarded to students on a competitive basis until funds have been exhausted. Students already holding a Bachelor’s Degree (i.e. students seeking a second Bachelor’s Degree) are not eligible. Students admitted conditionally pending receipt of final transcripts due to in-progress courses at their community college will be considered for the scholarship provided final transcripts arrive by the start of the term and they still meet the eligibility criteria. Awards will be disbursed through the Office of Financial Assistance and credited toward educational costs on the student’s account — half in the fall semester and the other half in the spring semester.
Merit awards are also available for international students. They are awarded upon admission and can be renewed for up to four years as long as the student maintains a 3.0 cumulative GPA. They can also be awarded to IEP students for use when they begin their undergraduate program. Exchange students are not eligible.
Award Amounts (effective 2014)
- 3.0 to 3.49 HSGPA will receive $2,000
- 3.50 to 3.74 HSGPA will receive $3,000
- 3.75 to 4.0 HSGPA will receive $4,000