CIS Department Prospective Student Visits
Learn about majors/minors in CIS. Enhance your technology skills and your job opportunities! Visit a CIS course with a student.
Contact Wendy Urban to arrange your visit.
- 10/22/2014 Zachary Ives, (University of Pennsylvania), " Integrating Data, Integrating Science", Wednesday, 11 AM, SERC 306
- 10/24/2014 Lifeng Lai (Worcester Polytechnic Institute), " Statistical Inference over Time-Varying High-Dimensional Models", Friday, October 24, 11 AM, SERC 306
- 11/05/2014 Mehryar Mohri (Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences), " Deep Boosting", Wednesday, November 5, 11 AM, TBD
- Jie Wu, Chair and Laura H. Carnell Professor, was General Chair of MobiHoc 2014 ...more...
- CIS Women Awarded Scholarships to Grace Hopper Women in Computing Conference. The Vanguard Group, the CIS Department and the Grace Hopper conference are the sponsors of the scholarships. ...more ...
- Professor Krishna Kant has been elevated to IEEE Fellow for his contributions to enterprise server performance, power management technologies, and domain name system robustness. ... more...
- Professor Zoran Obradovic co-chaired the 14th SIAM International Conference on Data Maning (SDM) held in Philadelphia April 24-26, 2014. ... more ...
- Jie Wu, Chair and Laura H. Carnell Professor, delivered a keynote speech tiltled "Social-Aware Routing in Delay Tolerant Networks at the IEEE Workshop on Dynamic Social Networks. ... more ...
- Shafi Goldwasser, RSA Professor or Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT, visited CIS on April 11 and gave a Distinguished Presentation, " The Cryptographic Lens". Dr. Goldwasser was the A.M. Turing award recipient in 2012, and among her many awards are: the IEEE Emanual R. Piore Award, the ACM Grace Hopper Award, the ACM Athena Award for women in computing and the Benjamin Franklin Medal in Computer and Cognitive Science.
- Dr. Jie Wu gave a distinguished lecture titled "Algorithmic Crowdsourcing and Applications in Social Networking" at theInformation Science & Technology Center (ISTeC) on March 4. ISTeC is a university-wide organization in Colorado State University
- Congratulations to Professor Haibin Ling for his NSF Career Award " High-order Tensor Analysis for Groupwise Correspondence: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications"
- Dr. Farnam Jahanian, Assistant Director of the National Science Foundation, visited the CIS Department on Friday January 17. Dr. Jahanian also gave a presentation on "Innovating for Society: Realizing the Transformative Impact of Computing and Communication".
- Professor Jie Wu, Chair and Laura H. Carnell Professor, recently served as program chair for CCF China Naitonal Computer Congress (CNCC) held in Changsha, China, October 24-26. ...more..
- Dr. Jie Wu gave a keynote titled "Collaborative Mobile Charging and Coverage in Wireless Sensor Networks " at the 2nd ACM Annual International Workshop on Mission-Oriented Wireless Sensor Networking, which was held in conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2013.
- Ph.D. students Nemanja Djuric and Lakesh Kansakar and their advisor Slobodan Vucetic received an outstanding paper award at the 23rd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI) ... more ...
- Four additional CIS women students, Cheryl Texter, Kelly Ross, Lisa Clark, and Kimberly Tran have received scholarships to the 2013 Grace Hopper Celebration. ... more ...
- Tatyana Nuzhnaya and Danae Richardson have been awarded scholarships from the 2013 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing conference. ... more ...
- Professor Jie Wu chaired the 33rd IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing System (ICDCS) held in Philadelphia July 9 - 12. He also gave a keynote speech on Algorithmic Crowdsourcing at the 5th International Workshop on Hot Topics in Peer-to-peer computing and Online Social Networking (HotPOST).
- Professor Longin Latecki has been awarded $493,000 for his National Science Foundation proposal "Object and Activity Recognition as the Maximum Weight Subgraph Problem with Mutual Exclusion Constraints" . ...more...
- Computer Science undergraduate Ryan Houlihan Has been awarded an NSF Graduate Fellowship. ...more...
- The Future of Computing Competition is to be held Saturday, April 13 in Buery Hall.
- Professor Shan Lin served as the local arrangement Chair of CPSWeek 2013 ...more...
- CIS hosted a NSF CAREER proposal writing workshop on March 15 at Temple University Center City (TUCC). ...more...
- Professor Jie Wu, one of his visiting students Sheng Zhang, and Professor Sanglu Lu, were presented with the " Best Paper Runner-Up Award" at IEEE MASS 2012! ...more...
- Professor Yuhong Guo and visting scholar Suicheng Gu presented Outstanding Paper Award at AAAI 2012 ...more...
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistants are available to help with most lower level and mid-level CIS courses in CS and IS&T. The Fall semester schedule is now available.
- The Vanguard Group awards scholarships to Temple CIS students to attend the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing Conference ... more ...
- Jie Wu, Chair and Laura H. Carnell Professor, recently gave a Distinguished Lecture titled "Cooperative Private Searching Clouds" at Tsinghau National Laboratory for Information Science and Technology, Tsinghua University. This lecture was sponsored by Intellectual Venture.
- Fall 2012 Graduate Course: " Introduction to Mobile and Cloud Computing"
- Jie Wu, CIS Chair and Laura H. Cornell Professor, gave a Keynote Address at the IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing & Communications, Liverpool, UK, 26 June 2012
The CIS Department and the Student Chapter of the ACM held their annual Awards Dinner on April 19, 2012.
- Future of Computing 2012: AWARDS PROJECTS
- Congratulations to our January 2012 Graduates ... more ...
- The Center for Networked Computing (CNC) has organized a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Site on Next Generation Networking Technologies. The REU Site program is recruiting undergraduate students nationwide to spend 8 weeks at Temple University. ... more ...
- The College of Science and Technology Distinguished Faculty and Student Awards for 2011 include awards to a number of CIS faculty and students ( Rolf Lakaemper, Rose McGinnis, Avirup Sil and Kosta Ristovski) ... more ...
- Professor Zoran Obradovic awarded $986,218 grant from DARPA to use data mining to help diagnosis and treat sepsis. ... more ...
- Professor Jie Wu delivered a Keynote Address "Some Reflections on CIS Education" at the China Computer Federation's China National Computer Conference 2011 ( http://cncc.ccf.org.cn/) held in Shenzhen, China, Nov. 24-26. ... more ...
- The Center For Networked Computing (CNC) site has recently been added to the Research area.
- CIS is Accepting Applications for Tenure Track and Non-Tenure Track Faculty Positions ...more...
Professor Jie Wu delivered an invited Distinguished Guest Lecture " Some Routing Challenges in Dynamic Networks" at Ohio State University on October 11, 2011.
Undergraduate Coursework Help Area Established
CIS has engaged a group of excellent undergraduate CIS majors to provide coursework assistance to undergraduates in the core 1000 and 2000 level courses in CIS. ... schedule ....
- Dr. Xiaojiang (James) Du gave a Keynote Speech at the 7th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM 2011), Sept. 23-25, 2011, in Wuhan, China ...more...
- The Vanguard Group has provided Scholarships for two CIS students to attend the Grace Hopper Women in Computing Conference ...more...
- Zoran Obradovic is PI on a new DARPA project "Predictive Modeling of Patient State and Therapy Optimization" ($986,218)
- Jie Wu and his co-PIs Gene Kwatny, Shan Lin and Chiu C. Tan have received a grant from the National Science Foundation for a project "EAGER: A meso-scale GENI WiMAX". This is a GENI future Internet project and a collaboration with Drexel University
- Jie Wu, professor and Chair of CIS, gave a distinguished lecture this summer at United Arab Emirates (UAE) University. The title of his talk was "Challenges in Wireless and Mobile Network Applications".
- Congratulations to Rolf Lakaemper promoted to Associate Professor with tenure!
- Abdallah Khreishah and his Co-PI Jie Wu have received a grant from the National Science Foundation ($329,163) for a project "CCSS: An Architecture for Joint Integration of Inter and Intrasession Network Coding in Lossy Wireless Multihop Networks".
- Jie Wu and his co-PI Xiaojiang Du have received a grant from the National Science Foundation for a project "Mobile Content Sharing Networks: Theory to Implementation". This is a collaborative project with Ohio State University.
- Alex Yates and his co-PI Yuhong Guo have received a grant from the National Science Foundation for the project "Learning Representations of Language for Domain Adaptation" ($897,000). This is a collaborative project with Northwestern University.
- Congratulations to the Class of 2011!
- Congratulations to the award winners from the CIS/ACM Awards Dinner, which was held April 21, 2011.
- Congratulations to undergraduate students Moriah Baxevane-Connell, Annika Lutz, Emily LeBlanc, Kathryn Knauth on acceptance to the GHC2011!
- Dr. Jie Wu served as technical program co-chair for IEEE INFOCOM 2011
- On April 9, 2011 a very successful Future of Computing Competition was held by the CIS Department. The award winning projects, judges and sponsors can be found at: Future of Computing 2011 Awards
... more ...
- IS&T undergraduate, Ryan Lelache, is finalist in PwC's "Elevator Pitch" competition.
CIS Faculty receive Concept Award from Temple University
Jie Wu and co-authors received the best paper award at 2010 IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS).
- Temple Team Places 1st in Student Programming Competition at Teragrid 2010
- Scholarships Awarded to CIS students to attend GHC2011
Two new faculty have joined the CIS Department beginning Spring 2014.
Krishna Kant has joined CIS as Professor. Dr. Kant was a research professor at the Center for Secure Information Systems at George Mason University, Fairfax, VA from 2010-2013. He also served as a program director in the CISE/CNS division of the National Science Foundation (NSF) from 2008-2013 where he ran the computer systems research (CSR) program and was actively involved in a number of other programs including Expeditions in Computing.
At NSF he also drove the NSF wide initiative on sustainability called SEES (science, engineering and education for sustainability) and received the Director’s Award for his efforts. His current areas of research include sustainability and energy issues in data centers, robustness in the Internet, and cloud computing security.
Prior to his NSF service, Professor Kant was with Intel Corporation where he worked on a variety of data center and server technologies. From 1991 to 1997, he held a consultant position at Telcordia Technologies (formerly Bellcore) and worked on many broadband and narrowband technologies, and SS7 signaling, congestion control, and error monitoring.
He was an Associate Professor of Computer Science at the Pennsylvania State University prior to 1991, with research contributions in performance modeling and distributed systems. From 1981-1984 he was an assistant professor in the EECS department of Northwestern University.
He received his Ph.D. degree in Mathematical Sciences from University of Texas at Dallas in 1981. He is the author of the graduate text book Introduction to Computer System Performance Modeling, McGraw Hill 1992. He recently coedited handbook on securing cyberphysical infrastructures and advances in cloud computing security. He is a Fellow of IEEE.
Christopher Biehl has joined CIS as Instructor, beginning in the Spring 2014 semester. Chris' main professional interest is incorporating technology in the classroom and making it an integral part of the learning process. Other interests include ethics in technology, information security, web design, and social media trends. He has an extensive background in digital media, and in his free time, he enjoys photography.