CIS Department Prospective Student Visits
Learn about majors/minors in CIS. Enhance your technology skills and your job opportunities! Visit a CIS course with a student.
Contact Wendy Urban to arrange your visit.
- 11/13/2013 James Z. Wang (The Pennsylvania State University), " Modeling Objects, Concepts, Aesthetics and Emotions in Images", Wednesday, 11AM, Wachman 447
- 11/15/2013 Jinwei Gu (Rochester Institute of Technology) " Information-Driven Imaging for Appearance Capture and Recognition", Friday. 11AM, Wachman 1015D
- 11/22/2013 Nirwan Ansari (New Jersey Institute of Technology), " GATE: Greening At The Edges", Friday, 11AM, Wachman 1015D
- 11/22/2013 David Blei (Princeton University), " Probabilistic Topic Models of Text and Users", Friday, 2 PM, Wachman 1015D
- 9/13/2013 Tom La Porta (Pennsylvania State University) " Quality of Information-Aware Networking", Friday, 11:30 AM, Bartin 108A
- 9/25/2013 Jin-Yi Cai (University of Wisconsin - Madison), " Holographic Algorithms and Complexity Dichotomy Theorems", Wednesday, 11:30 AM, TECH Center 111
- 11/1/2013 Lori A. Clarke (University of Massachusetts Amherst), " Using Process Modeling and Analysis Techniques to Reduce Errors in Healthcare", Friday, 11:00 AM, TECH Center 111
- 11/20/2013 Yann LeCun (New York University), " Computer Perception with Deep Learning", Wednesday, 11 AM, Barton 108A
- Professor Jie Wu, Chair and Laura H. Carnell Professor, recently served as program chair for CCF China Naitonal Computer Congress (CNCC) held in Changsha, China, October 24-26. ...more..
- Dr. Jie Wu gave a keynote titled "Collaborative Mobile Charging and Coverage in Wireless Sensor Networks " at the 2nd ACM Annual International Workshop on Mission-Oriented Wireless Sensor Networking, which was held in conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2013.
- Ph.D. students Nemanja Djuric and Lakesh Kansakar and their advisor Slobodan Vucetic received an outstanding paper award at the 23rd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI) ... more ...
- Four additional CIS women students, Cheryl Texter, Kelly Ross, Lisa Clark, and Kimberly Tran have received scholarships to the 2013 Grace Hopper Celebration. ... more ...
- Tatyana Nuzhnaya and Danae Richardson have been awarded scholarships from the 2013 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing conference. ... more ...
- Professor Jie Wu chaired the 33rd IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing System (ICDCS) held in Philadelphia July 9 - 12. He also gave a keynote speech on Algorithmic Crowdsourcing at the 5th International Workshop on Hot Topics in Peer-to-peer computing and Online Social Networking (HotPOST).
- Professor Longin Latecki has been awarded $493,000 for his National Science Foundation proposal "Object and Activity Recognition as the Maximum Weight Subgraph Problem with Mutual Exclusion Constraints" . ...more...
- Computer Science undergraduate Ryan Houlihan Has been awarded an NSF Graduate Fellowship. ...more...
- The Future of Computing Competition is to be held Saturday, April 13 in Buery Hall.
- Professor Shan Lin served as the local arrangement Chair of CPSWeek 2013 ...more...
- CIS hosted a NSF CAREER proposal writing workshop on March 15 at Temple University Center City (TUCC). ...more...
- Professor Jie Wu, one of his visiting students Sheng Zhang, and Professor Sanglu Lu, were presented with the " Best Paper Runner-Up Award" at IEEE MASS 2012! ...more...
- Professor Yuhong Guo and visting scholar Suicheng Gu presented Outstanding Paper Award at AAAI 2012 ...more...
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistants are available to help with most lower level and mid-level CIS courses in CS and IS&T. The Fall semester schedule is now available.
- The Vanguard Group awards scholarships to Temple CIS students to attend the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing Conference ... more ...
- Jie Wu, Chair and Laura H. Carnell Professor, recently gave a Distinguished Lecture titled "Cooperative Private Searching Clouds" at Tsinghau National Laboratory for Information Science and Technology, Tsinghua University. This lecture was sponsored by Intellectual Venture.
- Fall 2012 Graduate Course: " Introduction to Mobile and Cloud Computing"
- Jie Wu, CIS Chair and Laura H. Cornell Professor, gave a Keynote Address at the IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing & Communications, Liverpool, UK, 26 June 2012
The CIS Department and the Student Chapter of the ACM held their annual Awards Dinner on April 19, 2012.
- Future of Computing 2012: AWARDS PROJECTS
- Congratulations to our January 2012 Graduates ... more ...
- The Center for Networked Computing (CNC) has organized a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Site on Next Generation Networking Technologies. The REU Site program is recruiting undergraduate students nationwide to spend 8 weeks at Temple University. ... more ...
- The College of Science and Technology Distinguished Faculty and Student Awards for 2011 include awards to a number of CIS faculty and students ( Rolf Lakaemper, Rose McGinnis, Avirup Sil and Kosta Ristovski) ... more ...
- Professor Zoran Obradovic awarded $986,218 grant from DARPA to use data mining to help diagnosis and treat sepsis. ... more ...
- Professor Jie Wu delivered a Keynote Address "Some Reflections on CIS Education" at the China Computer Federation's China National Computer Conference 2011 ( http://cncc.ccf.org.cn/) held in Shenzhen, China, Nov. 24-26. ... more ...
- The Center For Networked Computing (CNC) site has recently been added to the Research area.
- CIS is Accepting Applications for Tenure Track and Non-Tenure Track Faculty Positions ...more...
Professor Jie Wu delivered an invited Distinguished Guest Lecture " Some Routing Challenges in Dynamic Networks" at Ohio State University on October 11, 2011.
Undergraduate Coursework Help Area Established
CIS has engaged a group of excellent undergraduate CIS majors to provide coursework assistance to undergraduates in the core 1000 and 2000 level courses in CIS. ... schedule ....
- Dr. Xiaojiang (James) Du gave a Keynote Speech at the 7th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM 2011), Sept. 23-25, 2011, in Wuhan, China ...more...
- The Vanguard Group has provided Scholarships for two CIS students to attend the Grace Hopper Women in Computing Conference ...more...
- Zoran Obradovic is PI on a new DARPA project "Predictive Modeling of Patient State and Therapy Optimization" ($986,218)
- Jie Wu and his co-PIs Gene Kwatny, Shan Lin and Chiu C. Tan have received a grant from the National Science Foundation for a project "EAGER: A meso-scale GENI WiMAX". This is a GENI future Internet project and a collaboration with Drexel University
- Jie Wu, professor and Chair of CIS, gave a distinguished lecture this summer at United Arab Emirates (UAE) University. The title of his talk was "Challenges in Wireless and Mobile Network Applications".
- Congratulations to Rolf Lakaemper promoted to Associate Professor with tenure!
- Abdallah Khreishah and his Co-PI Jie Wu have received a grant from the National Science Foundation ($329,163) for a project "CCSS: An Architecture for Joint Integration of Inter and Intrasession Network Coding in Lossy Wireless Multihop Networks".
- Jie Wu and his co-PI Xiaojiang Du have received a grant from the National Science Foundation for a project "Mobile Content Sharing Networks: Theory to Implementation". This is a collaborative project with Ohio State University.
- Alex Yates and his co-PI Yuhong Guo have received a grant from the National Science Foundation for the project "Learning Representations of Language for Domain Adaptation" ($897,000). This is a collaborative project with Northwestern University.
- Congratulations to the Class of 2011!
- Congratulations to the award winners from the CIS/ACM Awards Dinner, which was held April 21, 2011.
- Congratulations to undergraduate students Moriah Baxevane-Connell, Annika Lutz, Emily LeBlanc, Kathryn Knauth on acceptance to the GHC2011!
- Dr. Jie Wu served as technical program co-chair for IEEE INFOCOM 2011
- On April 9, 2011 a very successful Future of Computing Competition was held by the CIS Department. The award winning projects, judges and sponsors can be found at: Future of Computing 2011 Awards
... more ...
- IS&T undergraduate, Ryan Lelache, is finalist in PwC's "Elevator Pitch" competition.
CIS Faculty receive Concept Award from Temple University
Jie Wu and co-authors received the best paper award at 2010 IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS).
- Temple Team Places 1st in Student Programming Competition at Teragrid 2010
- Scholarships Awarded to CIS students to attend GHC2011
Three new faculty have joined the CIS Department.
Eduard C. Dragut, Assistant Professor
Eduard C. Dragut completed his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science in July 2010 at University of Illinois at Chicago. He has been a Postdoctoral fellow and visiting faculty at Purdue University since his graduation.His main area of research is the integration of Deep Web sources that provide/sell similar products/services. Other projects he is actively pursuing include: online record linkage and fusion, large-scale entity disambiguation, creation of a sentiment lexicons and, recently, cyber-infrastructure for scientific research. His research interests include databases, information retrieval, managing unstructured data, information extraction, opinion mining and retrieval, and Web data management. His work has been published in leading publication venues such as VLDB, ICDE, CIKM and ACL. He has also co-authored the book Deep Web Query Interface Understanding and Integration.
Shaojie Tang, Assistant Professor (Research)
Shaojie Tang received his Ph.D. from the Illinois Institute of Technology in 2012. His current research interests are cyber-physical systems, wireless networking, and mobile cloud computing. His key contributions include a number of theoretical results focusing on fundamental performances of wireless networks (such as the asymptotic capacity of large scale networks), several recognized practical wireless sensor networking systems that integrate systems, theory, and applications. He has published his research in premier journals and conferences, including the IEEE Transactions on Networking and ACM MobiCom. He has been serving as technical committee of many international conferences, such as IEEE ICPP, MASS, and BodyNets.
Ola Ajaj, Assistant Professor (Teaching/Instructional)
Ola Ajaj received his PhD in Computer Engineering from Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida in 2013. He holds a MS degree in Computer Engineering from Florida Atlantic University, where he published numerous papers in international journals, conference proceedings and book chapters. He gained teaching experience while completing his degrees at FAU. He has industry experience; he worked for Motorola, Inc., BlackBerry, Inc., (RIM before) and IBM, Inc. His current interests include cloud computing, web services, mobile development platforms, and software patterns