Program Admission Requirements
This Certificate in echocardiography is to prepare student learners to function effectively as entry level cardiac technicians and prepare them for licensure. The program includes both didactic and clinical courses. The applicant must:
- Students applying to the Echocardiography (ECHO) Program must be registered as a RT(R) in good standing with the American Registry of Radiographic Technology (ARRT) and must possess either an AAS or BA/BS degree in Radiologic Technology. Graduates of AMA approved hospital-based radiologic technology programs will be evaluated on an individual basis. No students will be considered for admission to the Echocardiography Program unless they possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (where A = 4.0).
NOTE: You must have worked as a Radiology Technologist for at least one year preferably two years. Also, all immunization records must be current with a current CPR card. This is required by all of our clinical sites.
Registered radiographers who possess the ARRT certification for at least one year and who meet the clinical requirements in ECHO set forth by the ARRT are eligible to sit for the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist Board--Advanced Level Examination in Echocardiography. Please provide a copy of your current ARRT, IEMA (Illinois Emergency Management Agency) and CPR cards.
- Submit an SSC application/registration form and forward all high school as well as other college transcripts directly to the Office of Admissions and Registration.
- Admissions to the Echocardiography Program will be determined by a ranking of the grade point averages (GPA) of the program prerequisite courses. Students will be considered for admissions who have received at least a grade of “C” or better in all program prerequisites and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better (A = 4.0). All final course grades will be validated prior to the start of the program.
- Submit an Echocardiography application to the program by mail or in person (Room 4453) no later than April 15th prior to the fall semester anticipating admissions. Please visit SSC’s website to obtain an application to the program.
- Score of 75% or better on Admission test.
- You will be notified in writing of your admissions status no later than May 15th.
The Echocardiography Certificate has specific admission requirements - visit the program page for details.
|ECG 101||Echocardio Fundamentals||4|
|ECG 204||Echo Imaging Lab 1||4|
|ECG 104||Echo Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|ECG 126||Clinical Education I||4|
|ECG 127||Clinical Education II||4|
|ECG 200||Echo Physics||4|
|ECG 205||Echo Imaging Lab II||4|
|ECG 226||Clinical Education III||4|
|ECG 230||Echo Certificate Review||3|
|Total Credit Hours:||35|
For additional information, please contact the Shari McGovern, Director of Diagnostic Imaging at 708-596-2000 ext. 2634.