International Student

I am a citizen of another country and am interested in attending SSC

I am a citizen of another country and am interested in attending SSC This page will give you the information you need to begin the admission process and to request a Form I-20 to study at SSC.

An international student is a citizen of a country other than the United States who is authorized to remain in the United States for a temporary period as a non-immigrant (F-1 student visa) and who intends to return to his or her home country.

South Suburban College is a commuter college. There are no dormitory facilities. Also, students need to have a mode of transportation. If a car is purchased, Illinois state law requires insurance. Foreign students are not allowed to work off-campus. Sufficient financial resources are essential.


An international student who plans to attend South Suburban College must take the following steps to begin classes at the college

1. International Student Application

Complete and submit the Credit Application Form.

2. Admissions Application
Complete, sign and submit the Credit Admissions Application.
3a. Sponsored Students
If a student is being sponsored, the sponsor must complete and sign the Affidavit of Sponsor. This affidavit must be accompanied by an original, signed letter from the bank showing the funds $16,000 USD as being available for the student's first 12 months of study and an original, signed letter from the employer showing salary or income in U.S. Dollars. If self-employed, provide an original bank letter stating business account balance. The affidavit must be stamped by a notary public or bank official and sent directly to the Foreign Student Advisor. In lieu of an Affidavit of Sponsor, the sponsor may choose to submit an INS Form I-134, Affidavit of Support.
3b. Non-Sponsored Students

If a student is NOT being sponsored, that student is responsible for submitting an Affidavit of Support complete with the two letters of support mentioned above.

4. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

Official score report of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must be sent directly to South Suburban College. You may call TOEFL at 1-609-771-7243 or e-mail for more information. South Suburban College requires a score of 500 minimum on the paper-based test, 173 on the computer-based test and 61 on the internet-based. The TOEFL test is required in all cases except citizens of England and Canada. The TOEFL website is

5. Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) Form

Submit the Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) form with required documents and payment directly to ECE for evaluation of your secondary school Education. They will send an evaluation report to South Suburban College. They can be reached directly at You may also use World Educational Services at

6. Transfer Students

F-1 visa students who want to transfer to South Suburban College must also submit copies of their current school I-20 form and a transcript or letter from the school showing dates of enrollment and eligibility to transfer along with the above information.

7. Insurance

Students need to provide evidence of insurance coverage or a certificate of payment for an insurance policy.

8. Submitting Documents

All documents listed above in Numbers 1 through 5 must be submitted to the following address:
Counselor, International Students, Room 2350
South Suburban College
15800 S. State Street
South Holland, IL 60473 USA

All documents for admission must be received before July 1 for the Fall semester and before November 1 for the Spring semester.

I-20 Form & F-1 Student Visa
Upon approval of the completed applications and documents, South Suburban College will issue an I-20 form. Please take the I-20 form and your current passport to the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate to obtain the F-1 student visa.
Minimum Credit Hours
If admitted, all foreign students must register for a minimum of 12 semester hours of study each semester of the academic year.
Policy: Completion of Program of Study
It is the policy of the College to notify U.S. Immigration when students on F-1 Visas fail to register for classes before completing their program of study.
Enrollment & Tuition

Foreign students must reenroll with assistance of a Foreign Student Counselor.

Any student classified as a foreign student will be assessed the out-of-state tuition rate.

We look forward to meeting you!

Applications and Documents should be mailed to:

Counselor, International Students, Room 2350
South Suburban College
15800 S. State Street
South Holland, IL 60473 USA

Contact Information

SSC: (708) 210-5718
In Indiana: (219) 931-0096
TDD ext. 2573

Admissions Office

Room 2348
(708) 210-5718

Local Links

Utility Links


Footer Links

© 2008 - 2014 South Suburban College · Main Number: (708)596-2000 | Office of Admissions: (708)210-5718
Main Campus: 15800 South State Street, South Holland, Illinois 60473-1200
Oak Forest Center: 16333 South Kilbourn Avenue, Oak Forest, Illinois 60452-4601
Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.