Colonnade Club members cherish the historic charm and inviting tranquility of Pavilion VII. This pavilion, the first on Thomas Jefferson’s Lawn, dates to the laying of its cornerstone in 1817. Today’s members enjoy the benefits of an extensive restoration that occurred from 1998 to 2002. The Club itself, however, dates from 1907, when forty-two faculty members joined together to form a faculty club.
Colonnade Club Member Benefits:
- Use Pavilion VII’s parlors and garden to read, write, and meet with colleagues or students.
- Catch up on the latest news in the Club Room, which features a television, comfortable couches, and a wide variety of periodicals and newspapers.
- Enjoy complimentary coffee, tea, and cookies throughout the day in Pavilion VII.
- Participate in a wide range of social events at no or minimal cost.
Reserve space in Pavilion VII for meetings, receptions, or celebrations such as retirements, weddings, and anniversaries.
Reserve overnight accommodations in Pavilion VII, which include a complimentary continental breakfast.
- Enjoy a 10% discount in the Garden Room, U.Va.’s faculty dining room, located in Hotel E on the West Range along McCormick Road.
- Present membership card to receive a 15% discount on selected items at any U.Va. Bookstore location.
- Visit more than 100 faculty clubs at colleges and universities worldwide through a reciprocity arrangement with the Association of College and University Clubs. ( Learn more)
- Nominate new members to the Club.
- Be part of the revered U.Va. tradition of being associated with the Lawn.
(Back to Top)
Eligibility as defined in the Section VIII of the Bylaws
- All members of the full-time faculty, plus senior administrative staff in the employ of the University and those in University-affiliated foundations who are appointed by their board are eligible upon completing the Membership Application Form and paying the appropriate dues.
- Membership by nomination may also be extended to part-time faculty, alumni, persons who have performed important service for the University, and selected persons employed at a sister or affiliate institution of higher education. All nominations are reviewed by the Club's Board of Governors after the applicant has submitted the Membership Application Form, Nomination for Membership Form, and the appropriate dues.
(Back to Top)
Individual Members can enjoy all membership benefits listed above. Individual members may also vote at the Annual Business meeting.
Emeritus Members are those full-time faculty who have held Colonnade Club membership for at least ten years immediately prior to their retirement from the University of Virginia and who, upon retirement, have asked the General Manager to bring their request for a change in status to the Board of Governors for approval. Emeritus dues are $80, half of the standard dues.
Honorary Members are such persons as the Board of Governors may choose to recognize for their outstanding contributions to the University and/or the Colonnade Club. Honorary members enjoy all of the privileges of membership except that of voting at the Annual Business Meeting.
Life Members are those members who pay an amount of dues computed from their present age to age 70 at the then-current membership dues rate, or ten years of dues, whichever is greater. Please contact the General Manager to apply for Life Membership.
Ex-Officio Members are the President of the University and all current members of the Board of Visitors. Ex-Officio members enjoy all of the privileges of membership except that of voting at the Annual Business Meeting.
Spouses of deceased members, excluding Honorary Members, may continue membership in their own names with the payment of appropriate dues. There shall be no dues in the case of Life Members.
Departmental Membership is available for University departments. Such membership allows the department to reserving overnight accommodations for visiting speakers and other departmental guests. Departmental membership privileges also include reserving space for academic or social events and can be obtained by submitting a Departmental Membership Applicationand the annual departmental membership fee of $275.
For further information on how to join the Club, please contact the General Manager.
(Back to Top)
- Members joining the Club between July 1 and December 31 pay annual dues of $160.00. Those joining between January 1 and June 30 pay dues of $80.
- Emeritus Members pay annual dues of $80.00, half of the standard dues.
- University employees may elect to have their dues deducted from their monthly pay checks by submitting a Payroll Deduction Form to the General Manager by August 15th. Dues are deducted over the course of a nine-month academic year.
- Membership dues can also be paid by credit card or a check made payable to "The Colonnade Club" submitted to the General Manager.
(Back to Top)