The Library never sleeps!
Chat live with a Librarian: 24 hours a day; 7 days a week.Chat with a Librarian
Chat with a librarian (BCC or CUNY or other college) within minutes.
EMAIL a librarian
Get an email response from a BCC Librarian within 24 hours.
Chat Reference, when should you use it? Use it to:
- Ask a quick question
- Get started on research
- Learn how to use library databases
- Find a book or magazine
- Get advice on evaluating resources
- Have library services and policies explained
- Librarians here at BCC or at other CUNY colleges will most likely answer your question during the hours the BCC Library is open. After hours, you’ll get answers from librarians at colleges across the country and the world.
- Type brief messages.
- If you have a lot to say, send a series of short messages ending each one with an ellipsis like this (. . . ) that tells us you have more to say
- Do not bookmark or print during the session or you may lose connection
- At the end of the session, you will get an email with live links, so you can go back and visit all of the pages the librarian showed you.
- Use it as often as you need to, there is no limit
- Chat should work with most versions of Internet Explorer, or Netscape 4.79, 7.1 or 7.2, Mozilla Firefox. People using the AOL browser or using a Macintosh sometimes encounter difficulties using this service. Let us know if this happens to you
- If you have "session cookies" enabled in your browser, the librarian will be able to " send you Web pages via your browser
- If you have a software firewall enabled, such as Norton Internet Security, you may not be able to see chat from the librarian after you connect. If you experience such a problem, please exit the service, and, if you wish to reconnect, disable the firewall before you return, remember to enable the firewall after your session.