Champaign-Urbana is a micro-urban community with a small-town feel while sacrificing no big city advantages.
Get to Know C-U
- Centrally located between three major US cities: Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis
- More than 100,000 local residents, in addition to the University student body
- Offers global options typically not found in cities of similar size, such as a wide variety of dining choices, excellent shopping in boutique stores and national chains, a diverse live music scene that continually brings in national and independent acts, and an active visual and performing arts community
- Award winning mass transit district, Zip cars, hybrid buses, biofuels, green architects, molecular and electronic nanostructures.
- Home to major technology and healthcare industries, in fact we are known as a Top 10 tech city (outside Silicon Valley) and a top "Green" city
Notable Community Events
Boneyard Arts Festival – Community-wide festival featuring over 100 different venues, offers an incredibly diverse range of spoken, performing, and visual art
Ebertfest – Held at the historic Virginia Theater in downtown Champaign, hosted by film critic and Illinois alum Roger Ebert
Market at the Square – Located in downtown Urbana, one of the largest and most diverse farmers’ markets in Illinois
Sweetcorn Festival – Annual event featuring live music, local art, and home-grown sweetcorn
How to Get Here
I-72, I-74, and I-57 lead directly to Champaign-Urbana if you plan to drive. You can also travel by train or bus. The station is located two miles from the main campus. Or, you can fly directly to Champaign's Willard Airport, which is five miles from the campus. Click here for more travel information.
More About C-U